This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Jodrell Bank Cyclos...

Notifications
Clear all

Jodrell Bank Cyclosportive, 12th March2011, 80miles, £25

25 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Woody told me about this. Thinknig of doing it also:

Site:
https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=464

Course:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/383336

Anyone else from the club interested, as a warmup to the Cheshire Cat?

(@chris-g)

Kris,

Thread from the Bikeradar, Sportive forum, regarding last years event.

Jodrel Bank Cyclosportive thread

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ooer. Poor feedback.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

I did it last year and it was ok. Route well signed, only downside was the parking. But this has been sorted for this year with a change of venue.

I won't be doing it again, now know to many better routes from club rides.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

How's the knee jules? Fingers crossed you'll be ship shape for this weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

It's a good sportive, it was the first one last year so a couple of teething troubles but only one of two sportives I did which had a timing chip and it was pretty well run. I'm probably going to do it as it's on a Saturday.

I've done a bit on my blog about it too http://thoughtsfromthebike.blogspot.com/2011/02/jodrell-bank-sportive-2011.html

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

I'd like to know a little more about the concept of 'sportive'. I have never done one and I'd like to know what the appeal is. A Weaver Valley club run is usually great fun because you're riding with people you know. The idea of cycling with a large number of strangers seems less appealing so please let me know what I'm missing. I can assure you that I'm being sincere.
Jed.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Knee seems ok thanks, after 72 miles on Friday couldn't fully bend it on Saturday/Sunday. Must have done more damage than I thought after my off. Lots of ice seems to have done the trick. Saturday will be the test, don't want to miss out.

Jed, Agree with you re sportives. I'm doing the Cheshire Cat because Elaine is and the Tour Of Flanders for the challenge of Pave and the atmosphere!!! Other than that it's club rides and racing for me this year.

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

You're quite right about the club runs Jed and I would agree I prefer club runs.

I would say a sportive is more designed for riders who aren't part of a club as it gives them chance to ride a lengthy route with it all marked out. For many a sportive is a challenge away from training on their own (as I know myself from the past 2 years up to 8 months ago. I used sportives to simply gain experience such as working in a group and most importantly gain fitness with my aim to join WVCC which I eventually did when I felt I was ready).

Sportives can vary from easy charity rides (Manchester to Blackpool) to lengthy rides into some of the most notorious hills around the UK (such as the Fred Whitton which goes up Hardknott Pass etc).

For those in a club, some sportives can allow members to treat it as a good training run or a break away from a club run for a challenge, without worrying about navigation. So for example with Jodrell Bank you get a timing chip so perhaps you want to test yourself around a course, knowing the distance, not having to worry about navigation and go for a time (plus getting extra early season miles in - as it is on a Saturday you'll also still have the club run the next day).

Quite a few members are doing the Cheshire Cat at the end of March too, which allows you to fit in a 100 miles while going up Mow Cop and the hills around Wincle. There will be around 2000 people doing it so they'll be a good atmosphere and I believe there will be timing chips and a Mavic service car if you happen to have problems.

ReplyQuote
(@gareth)
Eminent Member

I tried my first couple of Sportives last year and really enjoyed them. I took the approach though of doing them far away from Cheshire to try out some new roads and to get to ride stuff that I dont each week. The Dragon ride in South Wales was good if a little too busy, but the Fred Whitton in the Lakes was so good that Derek and me are doing it again this year! If you enjoy hills (which I believe you do!) its one I definitely recommend and its really well organised too.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

As Gareth says you get to see routes you would not normally do, can push yourself as hard as you want and go as fast (or slow) as you wish, which is not the point of a club run. They are normally well organised with feed stations and changing facilities and have gold, silver and bronze target times. So not as full on as a race but more competitive than a club run. Not eveyones cup of tea but I have always found them great and challenging fun.

PS this is Kevan writing but as El and I share an email address I can't do my own posts!

ReplyQuote
(@les-charnley)
Trusted Member

Hi Kev or should I say El, (If you read this first Eleanor, would you get kev to the computer for me). Kev, I think its time you come in from the cold, push the boat out, live dangerously, strike out and be counted, Yes get your own slot on the WVCC web site, once we have all had a good laught, no one will take any more notice of your picture. If you need any re-assurance just email Liz Charnley@ tiscali and she will let me know you have made contact. Be strong.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The biggest appeal of sportives to me is the aura of riding en-masse. Maybe this is something that club racing can also offer. Only time will tell.

I agree with others that the club runs are great fun, and very enjoyable both socially as well as in terms of challenge.

Personally, the more people who turn up on Sunday morning, the higher I rate the day. It's a simple linear scale. Which is why I like sportives so much. I love doing the manc 100 because there are thousands who turn up.

I love it when on club runs we see lots of other clubs out. In fact the best club run to date for me was the freewheeling challenge, because there were tons of us and there were tons of other riders out around tatton park 🙂

To me cycling is first and foremost a social, pack hobby, and (a very close) second, a personal challenge...

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

Here is Rob and my account of last year's sportive!

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=1338

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

@kris wrote:

I love it when on club runs we see lots of other clubs out. In fact the best club run to date for me was the freewheeling challenge, because there were tons of us and there were tons of other riders out around tatton park 🙂

I probably agree with all what Kris said there, but especially about the freewheeling challenge, it was great day out on the bike!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: