This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Bike Maintenance Wo...

Notifications
Clear all

Bike Maintenance Workshop

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@simon-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks

Chatting with a friend this evening we both admitted that we would benefit from a decent bike maintenance class. Like many relative newbies I suspect, I can do the basics but am a bit wary of messing with gear cables, brakes and so on. So, in short, does anyone know a good bike mechanic, or just a cyclist who is very proficient, who would be prepared to give a day or half day's course if enough people chipped in? Equally, do you know anyone, or are you, interested in taking part in something like this? Looking online most of the options I have found are either sold out, expensive, or a long way from here. I have plenty of online resources but it would be good to be able to chat through things with someone too.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

(@woody)
Honorable Member

I'd be up for a bike maintenance course, evenings would be best. Perhaps on a Monday at the legion?

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

Simon, this is a good idea. If it doesn't happen, you can learn almost everything you need to know on You Tube. Just type in your bicycle repair job and search for the best tutorial. In addition to this, I can certainly recommend Sheldon Brown's web pages.

ReplyQuote
(@winsforddave)
Trusted Member

what about running our own course - some of the wrinklies, myself included, have years of experience keeping their bikes sorted. I for one have always built all my bikes from scratch (pre off the peg complete bikes) and maintained them.
What about a few of us wrinklies, or anyone with similar skills, seeing what can be done - just need to know what people want and make sure we have people to cover Shimano/Campag etc. Can include emergency get you home tips and general advice on keeping your bike in good nick.
I would be happy to be involved with a few more - any offers?

ReplyQuote
(@simon-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@WinsfordDave wrote:

what about running our own course - some of the wrinklies, myself included, have years of experience keeping their bikes sorted. I for one have always built all my bikes from scratch (pre off the peg complete bikes) and maintained them.
What about a few of us wrinklies, or anyone with similar skills, seeing what can be done - just need to know what people want and make sure we have people to cover Shimano/Campag etc. Can include emergency get you home tips and general advice on keeping your bike in good nick.
I would be happy to be involved with a few more - any offers?

That sounds brilliant, Dave! Great idea. Yep any more offers guys??

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I'm happy to run a session on keeping your seat clamp tight, including tell-tale signs of when it's not tight enough. this is all experience based.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

I have spoken to Simon, and I'm happy to pass on the knowledge which I've gained and also not only through personal experience but through working in the industry. I'm familiar with campag, shimano and sram having ran all 3 on different bikes in the past. I'm also pretty good at bodging stuff for 'get you home' mode

ReplyQuote
(@simon-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Would be good to get something going, if enough people are interested. It wouldn't have to be restricted to club members or would it?

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Shimano for me. Changing a bottom bracket, headset & gear maintenance would be good.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

@woody wrote:

Shimano for me. Changing a bottom bracket, headset & gear maintenance would be good.

Yep, me too 😀

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

woody to change a bottom bracket you need the right spanner and to change a headset again you need the right tool and can also take a lot of practice. they're easily taken out with a hammer and a lump of metal but dont go back in so easily. But gears brakes shifters and so on are easily done with usually 4mm or 5mm al keys.
if enough people are interested would it be worth me bringing my winter bike which is currently in pieces. and using that to demonstrate?

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Yeah sounds like a plan, changing cables is another.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

I'll show you also how to prolong the life of the cables. Etc. we need to work out a time and place for this though.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

All sounds great. I'm crap at spannering!!

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

Well Simon, you certainly seem to have had a good response so far. I must say that I am surprised not to have had a reply to my post (tutorials on You Tube). Perhaps it's the 'social' aspect of a bike maintenance gathering that appeals but when you're stuck half way through a job, those You tube tutorials are very useful.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: