This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

SpeedPlay Pedals an...

Notifications
Clear all

SpeedPlay Pedals and Shoes

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone any experience with them as im going to move to them soon and get another bike fit at Pedal Precision which Woody recommended. My main dilemma is if to get SpeedPlay specific Shoes or Just get normal 3 hole ones and use the adapter. Would there be much differance ?

Ideally I would of got these as there in my price range but not the right size
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lake-cx236c-road-shoes-speedplay-sole/

The DMT Prisma 2.0 would be perfect but cost to much just like most SpeedPlay shoes so was thinking along the line of Sidi Genius 5 Pro and use adapter plates. 😕

Cheers all

(@woody)
Honorable Member

I'd consider Look Keo 2 Max pedals. Good price and incredible pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

I have some look pedals, (not sure which ones) that I took off my tt bike as all my stuff is shimano. I am sure we could come to some agreement 😉

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I actually use Look at the moment alltho there the cheap Keo Classic ones. Im looking at speedplay zeros as the float in them is supposed to be really good for the knees. I had the quarterzone Jab today so only very light rideing if any till the end of September when I hope to have all this sorted.

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Hi Jamie,

I don't know if you know anybody who has Speedplay but if I were you I'd try to have a test ride with them as I've heard that the amount of float is considerable and many people don't like it as it feels as if their feet are not clipped in properly. However other people say they are brilliant so it's very much a question of taste I think.

With Look they have black cleats with absolutely no float, greys with a small amount of float and reds that are quite floaty but not as much as speedplay. You're welcome to try my Looks if you want as I have all 3 types of cleat and and you can borrow some red ones and give it a go with your shoes.

Speedplays are very expensive and so are the cleats so I would hate for you to lay out a lot of cash and not take to them.

Cheers

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cheers for that ,

I have new Red cleats on at the moment as my Grey ones had worn out but it made no differance to how I felt on the bike. I tried differnt cleat positions but none of them worked. I know the Speedway cleats at £30 a pop are double the price but there supposed to last alot longer if you keep them maintained so would hopfully even things out over time. You can set the Zeros to Zero float like the Look black cleat or 15% so you can gain more then the red cleat. From what Ive read the Float is a little different on them which makes them good for knee problems but that could be just selling talk but Im after getting the right set up so I can ride properly again hence new Pedals , Shoes and Bike Fit.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I used to have really bad knee problems. I tried different cleats and cleat positions, but in the end it was down to my saddle position. Only a proper bike fit sorted it.

Adding more freedom to your heels might give short term relief, but it may just be dealing with a symptom of something else, and too much movement may lead to other problems.

If you are getting a bike fit, I would stick with your current pedals and see how things go. Don't change too much at once, as you won't know for sure if the bike fit has worked or not, or if the pedals are doing anything, or not.

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Kris thats good advice. I think my best bet is to Email and book the fit and also ask them what they think. If I stay on the Looks ill upgrade to the Keo 2 Max pedal like Woody said as I do need new pedals anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im booked in for the 2nd of September and Rich also said I should stay with the look set up so Ill pick up some Keo Max 2's. I might pop up on some Short Runs just to keep the legs going a little but im staying off the bike mostly till its done

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

Jamie I fitted some speed play cleats the other day an they were a pain to do plus the placement is less versatile than look or shimano. If you get the right position, in theory you don't need any float. Good luck with your fit and get your knees rested, there's nothing worse than trying to ride whilst injured especially if cycling is aggravating it

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Titch ,

Hopfully this will sort it all out

ReplyQuote
Share: