This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Road Run 19th May

Notifications
Clear all

Road Run 19th May

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Flippin' 'eck Terry .... don't see you on here very often! 😀

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Ha ha brilliant! Love the use of Cliff Royal's garage as a HQ.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@TerryV wrote:

Thanks Sid for straightening the records and here's another small correction - the hill we went up in Frodsham was Overton Hill and was used many times in the clubs early road race promotions. Mersey View climbs from the Bulls Head pub up to the leisure club (once known as the Mersey View night club) this gains the same height but is steeper, particularly at the top. Leigh Premier RC used it for their open hillclimb using Cliff Royal's garage as the HQ.

Quite right and well corrected (Bellemonte Road)! Shame that Leigh Premier (or anyone else) don't use it for a hill climb anymore.

Once got the Junior Local on that very event. 3m 54. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

its a great hill, i do it every now and again, the last kick on the bend is tough! i got a PB on Strava last time time i was up there 3:52, not sure how that compares with the coarse you did Ady, http://app.strava.com/activities/51964106#932398414

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@JimDuffy wrote:

its a great hill, i do it every now and again, the last kick on the bend is tough! i got a PB on Strava last time time i was up there 3:52, not sure how that compares with the coarse you did Ady, http://app.strava.com/activities/51964106#932398414

Start at the bottom of the hill, about 100 or so metres, just down from the church, so that you go up the first little hill then turn right up Bellemonte Road. The finish (as was) is literally opposite the Mersey View entrance.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

slightly longer than that of strava then

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Just dusted off the archive and found the result sheet for the last time I rode the Leigh premier Hill Climb back in 1990 when it was also the Weaver Valley club HC champs as it was for several years. Steve Hulme of Manchester Wheelers won it with a time of 3 min 10.9 secs and in 4th place overall plus WVCC champ was Graham Veal who loved the hill so much that he went on to live in Frodsham when he got married (isn't that true Terry)? Graham was only 14.5 seconds behind the winner and in 5th place overall was Dave McKay 2.8 seconds behind Graham. 3rd Weaver valley rider in 10th place was Matt Ellis and funnily enough Matt was out on the club run on Sunday which is very rare these days as he lives in France.

That day Dave and Matt were 1st and 2nd Juniors overall and the 3 lads won the team. We had 11 finishers out of 53 in the race. Bear in mind that Steve Hulme was top 6 in the National Hill climb a few times so it just shows how good our skinny young juniors were in those days (eh Dave 😉 ).

Seems like only yesterday.........

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: