This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

R.I.P Dave

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dylan-sharrock)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Dave Astles was on his bike today and reportedly suffered a fatal heart attack somewhere near Chester.
You will be very sadly missed Dave. RIP. (Found this out from alan kemp) What a great man dave was he will be missed! 🙁

kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Oh no, that's terrible news.

Rest in peace, Dave, I enjoyed our chats on the club runs, and you will be sadly missed.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-g)

Very, very sad news.
Coming back to the sport after a 20 year break, to find Dave still riding and competing was, and always will be, a real inspiration.
A true gent. He will be greatly missed.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member

Very sad news. Last time I saw Dave was when he was helping with the Cyclo Cross - he was always available for marshalling duties. Prior to that was up in the North East in September for the TLI National Champs where Dave was out to defend his National Criterium Champions title which he had won at Darly Moor.

My best memory of Dave was the first time I met him in 1984 (I think). I was a fairly new Weaver Valley member having not long moved to Northwich. I was riding the club 10 and Dave was my minute man, he had just turned up on a very average bike wearing a T shirt and trainers. With no toeclips either, I estimated that I would catch him by about 3-4 miles not realising that this was the start of his comeback having been a keen rider when he was younger. Not sure if I did catch him that night!

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

I am so sorry to hear that Dave passed away today. A time to reflect on a great man, a witty story-teller, a champion cyclist. Perhaps a friend can post here his full palmares? Dave will be a great loss to our club. I would like to send my condolences to his family and friends. Dave will be greatly missed.

Claire

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Terribly sad news. His stories were always the best, his story of pushing Paul Sherwen back home was my favourite. He was giving me a lot of stick about United on the Two Mills trip back home the other week, he was looking forward to City winning the league! He was always at the races, be it Oulton Park or the top of Gun Hill at the Tour of Britain in September. Will be truely missed.

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member

it's truely saddening to be writing this, I could not speak highly enough for dave, I went through school with Mark and he used to tell me stories of what he was up to, he was so proud of his kids. my thoughts are with mark jenny and daves wife.

ReplyQuote
Share: