This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Group riding skills

Notifications
Clear all

Group riding skills

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Another Interesting article about the rise in mishaps in road races and the link to the decline of clubruns where experienced riders are hopefully trying to teach new riders about cycling etiquette and safer riding .
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/group-riding-skills-gap-making-uk-road-racing-dangerous-37356/

Alan

(@woody)
Honorable Member

Good article interesting on his take that people are all in teams rather than clubs. Like his bit on clubs knocking it into him all the time on how to ride, I had the mentoring of Garry Brown on one run which really helped me. Always appreciated it.

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

Alan, this does seem like a serious problem. Have the associations (TLI, BC etc) any plans to counter the menace of ill disciplined riders? I know in motor racing, there is a requirement for drivers to compete under a novice plate for a number of races whilst their performance is assessed by officials. They are only granted a full racing licence if they are deemed competent and safe. In cycle racing, perhaps a similar practice could be adopted. It does seem odd that just about anyone can compete in a cycle race without proving that they have the necessary group riding skills. Going back to motor racing, all potential competitors must satisfactorily complete a series of courses before they are allowed to enter a race. I know this may complicate things in the world of cycle racing but if it's a real issue, then something must change. I know of a number of club riders who have been put off by the poor behaviour of some racers.

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
Share: