This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Good idea....

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@paull)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Craig's suggestion made me think back to the last members to organise such rides and I was a little shocked when I looked in my mileage log to see how long ago some of them were.
First off Phil Tomlinson used to organise some longer club runs back in the early nineties (or possibly the late 80's) to places such as Castleton and Pistyll Rhaeadr - before my time but if anyone else remembers actually riding them let us know.
Secondly in the early 00's I led a few longer runs on Saturdays which were advertised as Hardriders Club Runs but they never attracted many riders at the time. It was a lot of work planning and ensuring I had memorised the entire route and of course the British summer didn't always play ball.
Below are a few stats of a selection of these rides and a couple of other memorable WVCC days out (details are basic - all before the days of bike mounted GPS) :

Hardriders to Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant
19/5/02 132 miles @ 18.? mph
P.Lawson, R.Jones, G.Bett.
Good weather and a memorable day out - Giles battered used through the Berwyn Mountains but we got our own back in the last 30 miles when we had him dangling off the back chewing his bars. Giles in those early days hadn't the stamina he acquired a couple of years later, not much chance of seeing that again now he's a 24hr MTB champion.

Hardriders to Welshpool
25/7/03 126 miles @ 17.7 mph
P.Lawson, R.Jones, C.Lee.
Monsoon! A warm day when the sun was out but on the way there we were hit by flash floods and water almost up to the bottom bracket.

Hardriders to Brewood
15/7/06 113 miles @ 18.2 mph
P.Lawson, R.Jones.

Terry Veal's ride to Lake Vyrnwy from the Raven Cafe at Prees Heath
2/7/03 150 miles (I opted to ride out to the start) @ 17.5 mph
My first ride ever to the lake and a fantastic day out with a good group of friends and probably my last ever ride with Dave Ball who passed away a few years later. I'm glad this is my final memory of him on a bike as it was one of those perfect rides and inspired me to lead several rides to the lake in the following years.

.........and finally as Kempy would say this last one is what club runs were like in days of old.

Rode out to the Chester RC 25 mile TT (at Broxton I think), raced then joined Chris Mullin's club run to Newport, Shropshire at the cafe stop.
10/6/01 147 miles @ 18.4 mph
I wont mention the time for the 25 as it wasn't very good. The club run was though - good weather, great scenery on one of Chris's meandering routes and good company.

(@woody)
Honorable Member

Awesome log you have there Paul, might come in good use for putting together the club history.

ReplyQuote
Share: