This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Carbon frame - crea...

Notifications
Clear all

Carbon frame - creaking and possible crack

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@keegsio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been having a few problems with my bike creaking. It tends to happen at the same point of the pedal rotation and bizzarely stops for a short period of time if I bounce on the saddle. I have checked the bottom bracket (its ok), I have checked the seatpost and saddle (that is ok) and I've inspected the frame. The only thing I have found is what looks like a crack in the frame where the left chainstay joins to the rear dropout. The creak gets worse when I put more power through the pedals which would be consistent with a torsional effect on the chainstay.

I have attached a couple of photos and would be interested to know your thoughts. Any expert knowledge or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

(@jules)
Honorable Member

Does it creak when your out the saddle?? If not, your seat pin will need greasing possible.

ReplyQuote
(@keegsio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't think it does creak when I'm out of the saddle. By seatpin do you mean the seatpost or something specific about the seat/saddle?

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

The bolt that tightens to hold the saddle. Give all of it a good greasing.

ReplyQuote
(@mattbuck78)

I read an artical somewhere about carbon frames cracking, a expert from trek said you must not use harsh detergents to clean them as they react with the glue holding the carbon joints together.. Another factor is how old the frame is ? Maybe contact the manufacturer c what they say..

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member

Cannot spot a problem on the photo such as a crack but worth greasing , oiling or putting teflon spray on the inside of the dropout ends . It is sometimes something as simple as that. Assume the bottom bracket and chainset are all tight ?
Alan

ReplyQuote
(@keegsio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers guys,

Bottom bracket is tight and chainset. The saddle was actually creaking when I pushed down on it so I tightened everything up and greased it. Then it rained so I haven't had chance to check it but the creaking when I push down has stopped.

John

ReplyQuote
(@keegsio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the feedback. The good news is the creaking has now gone.

Jules - I did as you suggested and greased all parts of the seat pin and re-tightened the fixings for the saddle.

In addition I found a loose fixing that connects the seat stay to the rear drop-out. I discovered it by accident when I hooked my bike up to my turbo trainer and there was a lot of lateral play in the rear wheel. A bit worrying really but sorted now.

Took the bike out tonight and gave it some hammer and the only thing I can hear is the tyres on the road.

Cheers,

John

ReplyQuote
Share: