This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Age is a number

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@andy1104)
Topic starter  

Proof age is a number 😮

100 Year-Old Frenchman Sets Cycling One Hour Record

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 09:36 AM PST

Just a motivating reminder to all readers of this blog who are under 100 years old:

Frenchman Robert Marchand entered the cycling record books in the one-hour event on Friday 17th of February 2012, three months after celebrating his 100th birthday. Marchand rode impressive 24.251 kilometres around an indoor track to establish the first-ever hour performance in the 100-years-plus category. Who will be the next rider to break this impressive record?

I have only one word for this: Respect!

As I have said before: Getting older… it happens to us all.

Most people are content to pick up their pipe and slippers, and enjoy a more relaxing, sedentary lifestyle in their twilight years. Pottering about in the garden might be the sum total of their exercise regime. But if you are passionate about sport, keeping fit and challenging yourself to greater heights then hitting the age of 50 is probably the perfect time to set yourself a new goal.

(@ady)
Member Admin

Properly impressed.

A similarly impressive time on my last year's PB on the J5/8 25 mile course, in the Lyme RC TT, where I recorded the following:

65th Adrian Japp Weaver Valley CC 01:01:53 V45.

Reasonably happy with this, I scanned up the results sheet, and then found that a bloke had taken 37 seconds out of my time,

62nd Dennis Milsom Mid Shrops Whls 01:01:16 V83

83!!

I could take that one of two ways. I'm only 45 (soon 46), and I'm much, much slower than a pensioner - or - I've got loads of time to improve on my comparitively poor 25 TT time and age is no barrier at all to improvement!!

Not a word from you Mr Fearon...

🙂

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Maybe the issue here is not age at all, but class.........!!
It also helps when you have retired and can ride your bike as much as you like and rest for as long as you want. However i think a few of our more senior vets might take issue with this!
P.S. You are comparing yourself with a living legend (Dennis Milsom)!

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

well as they say, good guys dont get bad when the get older, they just get older .......

Alan Kemp ... Need I say more ![/font:krudf6nx]
😀

ReplyQuote
Share: