This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Off Road weekend - ...

Notifications
Clear all

Off Road weekend - revised date 4&5 Jan

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Plan is now to ride the fantastic Shroshire trails over the Long Mynd and beyond. We had a brilliant day ride on the Long Mynd December 2012 on a very wet day. For a report see https://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/long-m ... de-22-dec/ .

So the plan is to head down that way, near Church Stretton on A49 south of Shrewsbury, and have a ride Sat and another Sunday, so folks can come along either or both days. Probably staying at Marshbrook which has camping pods which are heated and open all year. We need a few to share the cost of the pods. The pub on site has good food and beer. There's also a bike shop and good facilities. See http://www.camping-shropshire.co.uk/ for more info and details of rides in the area.

Send me an email if you are intersted in coming.

(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

2 pods booked between 6 so far commited. Any one else wanting to come needs to let me know asap by email please as each pod sleeps just 5 and they seem to get booked up quite well in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There are still a couple of places left so please let me know if you want to join us. May be able to provide a lift there too.

Picture above is the view on top of the Long Mynd (in the summer) looking towards the Wrekin, then Kev C below a couple of years ago. but even in winter it's a fabulous place for off road riding with a huge range of tracks and trails from the easy to the difficult - so something for everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Despite a dreadful weather forecast 6 of us headed out over the Long Mynd in the Shropshire Hills on Saturday for a superb day's riding. From the Marshbrook MTB centre we rode up to the Gliding Club on the ridge and then dropped down a brilliant zigzag track the other side. Back onto the ridge up the road which starts at 25% and goes on for about a mile. Tim seemed to just ride away from us all, Matthew and Kev chasing hard, with Eleanor, Richard and me grovelling to the top.

A slippery grassy descent took us back over to the east side, then another road climb before a fast gravel track down the west side to lunch at the excellent pub at Bridges. Two more ascents of the ridge meant we covered 34 miles with 5000ft of climbing. The final descent of Minton Batch is reputedly one of the best in the country and we certainly enjoyed it.

Good food, beer and red wine at the Station pub, Marshbrook refuelled us ready for more action on Sunday morning. We headed to the north end of the ridge to try out a new track which proved to be very steep, technical and exciting!

Planning to head for Cannock Chase trails next time which has graded trails for all abilities -so come and give it a try.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

That was such good fun...thanks for organising everything Nick, and thanks to Tim, Richard and Matthew for the company. Oh and Kev of course! Matthew...love the "attack elbows" In Nicks photo! Despite bottling out of some of the tricky bits, I've still got some technicolour bruises!

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

That was an ace weekend. And just look how fast I appear to be riding, despite the fact me and Tim were barely going walking pace while Kev caught up.That's the beauty of Attack Elbows, and an essential technique for anyone ever gracing the cover of MBUK. 😀

ReplyQuote
Share: