This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

canvassing interest

Notifications
Clear all

canvassing interest

41 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

dear 'usual suspects' and everyone else

due to working 25 hours a day, 8 days a week recently I've treated myself to a full suspension bike, I've also got enough change left over to pay for someone to drive me to the top of a hill all day. I'm aiming to give this place a try http://www.anturstiniog.com/ you can buy a day ticket or a half day ticket which means with a half day ticket you could do llandegla on the way back. if there is interest, I'll try commendering my works van for the weekend 'a la coed-y-brenin'. so, matt '661' hornby, give Del Boy a nudge and text Gareth 'GT' Thomas, and Nick 'go fast or go home' Butterworth prompt Mr Calder. Underhills... you know you're welcome. Phil sharrock, I think you mentioned going here once.... did you make it? be good to have a guide buddy

Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

might see if I can get a demo trek remedy or orange alpine 160 and join you 😀

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

Oh yeah, I fancy a go at that. Can I ride my cyclocross bike?

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

matt - as far as i'm concerned mate, you can ride jed's quest if he'll let you, be kind of like a WVCC version of 'cool runnings' 😆
titch - great to have you along - and with the 'god given grace of gravity'....it will be good to level the playing field a bit and give me half a chance at keeping up with you. 😉

any dates either of you can't do? also what are the thoughts on the full day/half day situation? hopefully i'd be looking to be going in no longer than a month.

Have we got any white smoke from the Butterworth Office yet? I remember you once saying at the bottom of a looooong man made decent of berms etc... that "if you didn't enjoy that..this sport isn't for you"... well this would be a day of it (and without the climbs thanks to The Good Lord's second greatest creation next to the wheel...the internal combustion engine 😉 )

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member

Sounds good to me - would be good to see you on a bike again Andy! This campsite (B&B too) is ideal http://caegwynfarm.co.uk/ - I stayed there last year and you can ride into the forest to Coed y brenin and it's not far to Antur stiniog. I called in there to have a look round and they do have "red grade" XC style trails 😀 as well as the downhill type stuff 😯 , so should be something for everyone. Could make weekend of 12 & 13 April? Following weekend is easter - probably best avoided and weekend after is Cheshire Classic.

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

Hmm, not sure I could make that weekend Nick suggests as that's the weekend after my Belgium trip. The Cheshire Classic weekend would be best for me, and I reckon we could manage a full day there.

Then again, the Cheshire Classic's not on the Calendar, therefore it's not happening. 😀

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

a weekend could be a bit of a stretch for me due to work commitments, Saturday of that weekend nick suggested would be ideal for me. could you manage that weekend if its just for a day matt? I'd be happy to do a full day, then if we get kicked out maybe pop into llandegla on the way back for a dusk ride. matt, have you managed to contact Colonel Decker and Gareth to see if they fancy it? I've asked at work about a van and was told "if it's there you can take it" but no guarantees it will be, so I'm working towards my contingency plan of driving. I'd have room for another bod and bike at a squeeze and with all the wheels off the bikes.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

hmm, this whole mtb scene is starting to force me to buy another bike 😉

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

get on it titch, you know it makes sense. Blag one of those bikes from your work and chuck it in the back of my car. I've got high hopes for this place and just wondering if I should put a couple of chippy trays on my knees if Hornby is wearing his 661's 😆

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

I'm trying my hardest to get one. does this place not hire bikes out?
perhaps try some bubble wrap covered by cardboard?

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

I'm not sure a bubblewrap bike would be strong enough Titch, even with cardboard reinforcement.

Gareth Thomas is a no go I'm afraid. I'll ask The Huff when I see him.

What new bike did you get by the way? That's the most important aspect of this thread yet to be addressed.

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221385704152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

with some nice wvcc themed gloves

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171246040310?var=470347292132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

couldn't get a brand new bike passed 'the board' as it was, again, pointed out that we don't have a dishwasher.

can you do that Saturday for the day on nicks aforementioned weekend date?

pretty sure they don't hire bikes titch. be a good excuse to get one, in the words of 'tha kidz'.... YOLO!

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

You need a dishwasher. It's by far the best way to clean dirt and grease off your chain, gears and other components during maintenance.

Nice bike. Do you have to shout KAPOW and strike a martial art stance every time you pull those gloves on?

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

bubblewrap knee pads?
can't unfortunately afford a new bike and certainly not endure rig.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member

If it's just a Saturday I can do any of those dates - inc. Cheshire Classic weekend, or Easter Sat (busy?)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: