This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Training chain gang...

Notifications
Clear all

Training chain gang Tues & Thurs evening

35 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

After being right up for it, I forgot. 😳 Will make sure I'm out on Thursday.

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Cheers for organising tonight Nick. Think I need to do a bit more work, good experience though!

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well it sort of worked, not too bad for the first time, but a few more would help. Thanks to everyone who turned up. Dylan and James did fantasticly well. Shame it was so windy as this made it harder to keep together. We did about 45 mins on the circuit, although it was too narrow/rough along Onston Lane. Anyone who thought this would be an easy doddle of a ride was wrong!

We'll meet at 6.30pm at the Hanging Gate pub again on Thursday, but try a different circuit which might be better. We'll ride to Crowton, turn right opposite the pub along Ainsworth Lane to the end where left along Crewood Common Rd until we meet the main road from Kingley and turn left to take us back into Crowton.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan-sharrock)
Eminent Member

I really enjoyed it would of been better with more people but we shall see who turns up on thursday ! cheers 😀

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

I should be there on Thursday.

Legs are still knackered after the Tour of Flanders, never had to work so hard on a bike 😀

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I should be there, and I might bring along a mate from work if thats ok?

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes that's fine Kris, see you Thursday

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Many thanks nick for the run tonight. It was my first chain gang and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

See you Tuesday!

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@kris wrote:

Many thanks nick for the run tonight. It was my first chain gang and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

See you Tuesday!

It was my first chain gang in 25 years and I thoroughly endured it(!)

Well, a lap or two anyway!!

I'll try again next week...!

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Glad you both "enjoyed" it! Good to get 7 starters, although it wittled down to 4, but well done to all and I could already see Woody improving. It will get easier when there are more of us and it's less windy. Matthew and Kris were both really strong.

We'll carry on with Tuesdays and Thursdays on this circuit meeting at Hanging Gate pub at 6.30pm for next week. When the nights start to get lighter we might make one of the evenings on the Lach Denis circuit. Keep an eye on the calendar.

See you all Tuesday

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Would love to join in. Work just a bit mad at moment and rarely in UK mid week but will bear it in mind for the first opportunity that comes up.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

Good to see Jed out in the banana whilst I was on a 'rest' lap. Would have liked to see him through and off in his recumbent!! Lol.

😉

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Pleased to say we are getting a good turn out with around 10 last Thursday and a good half dozen hanging in to make it a really worthwhile exercise. We are also getting smoother so that there is more chance of keeping the group together. Remember, the more of us there are, the faster we go. The new circuit (which seems to work ok) is - up Ainsworth Lane, the hill opposite the pub in Crowton, carry on past Poplar Farm, keeping left at the fork then left at the T junction, right after 500m (or straight on for a short cut if you have been dropped) along Ball Lane until it joins the main road (sharp left, slow down and look for traffic) to take us quickly back to Crowton (slow again for sharp turn into Ainsworth Lane). We have only managed around 4 laps of the new circuit, but with the nights drawing out should manage 5 laps next time. Really pleasing to see Dylan and Matt sticking at it (and James the first night) and everyone else who is new to this type of riding.

As always when riding in a group - point out potholes if possible or shout "below" if not. Take care at junctions and shout if stopping. On the narrower back roads be aware of oncoming traffic, horses, dogs etc. and shout to make others aware. We will single out on the back lanes where necessary, but don't slam brakes on, try to be smooth. On the main road from Kingsley back to Crowton we will be approaching 30mph so don't worry about cars behind, they won't get held up, but do keep your eyes on the road and be ready to "bunnyhop" or unweight the bike/keep tight hold on the bars over any potholes you can't avoid.

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Sorry to miss last weeks, hopefully will be back on Thursday for a couple of laps!

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

just want to say thanks again for getting this going Nick! This is exactly what us newbies need!

The new route is much better, the main road drag is really fast, and this route prolongs the speed!

See you tomorrow 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: