This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Turbo trainer

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@charlotte)
Topic starter  

I'm looking at buying a turbo trainer on Amazon (because they will send it to me in Sweden for free 🙂 ) There are three at £42.99 and I think this one seems the best…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Magnetic-Foldable-Trainer-Training/dp/B00AR001R0/ref=sr_1_59?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1388866761&sr=1-59&keywords=turbo+trainer

Is it worth spending any more?

I'm guessing I'll also need a plastic thing for the front wheel and a tyre for the back wheel?

Thanks 🙂

JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

as you know you can spend lots on a turbo, and you gets what you pays for,
£42 is low budget, , Kurt by kinesis is very popular but you will pay probably over £150, they are very robust, but I suspect you'd have to pay xs baggage if you brought it back to the uk.
The main issue is the 'feel 'or the way it rides, for a bottom end one, you may find riding on it a bit 'jerky'

you're a lightweight so I suspect it will be ok..

Regarding the plastic 'thingy', you do need to pick the front wheel up, however you can do this cheaply with a piece of wood or a brick.

You might also want to consider a turbo tyre, they are more hard wearing than ordinary tyres.. but not essential.

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

If you read Graeme Obree's training manual/book the one big thing he goes on about is the turbo bring magnetic, which that is so you should be good! Elite are doing some great offers on theirs in Halfords might be the same on Amazon?

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

If you read Graeme Obree's training manual/book the one big thing he goes on about is the turbo bring magnetic, which that is so you should be good!

Yes fans are bad, fluid resistance units are better but still jerky and magnetic resistance units are the most realistic. You do get what you pay for but whatever you can afford will do the job and is better than nothing. Turbo training can be boring but they are good for doing strength and speed endurance sessions so read up on the internet about different types of interval sessions that you can do and this will relieve the boredom. You don't need to do any more than 45 mins - 90 mins on the turbo to get results and apply the basic principles of increasing the load / duration and reducing the recovery between intervals, over time and your will see big improvements.

Add a fan / rubber floor mat and towels to your shopping list and always have a litre of fluid next to the turbo as you will need it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member

I'm thinking of moveing away from the Turbo as I just doint get along with it at all and was thinking of getting some Rollers.Concentrating to stay up right will help with the boredom and will improve my core hopfully. Is it worth paying for ones with Resistance or will the cheaper ones like this do ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-antares-professional-training-rollers/

ReplyQuote
(@charlotte)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice 🙂

Turns out the Amazon postage system was more complicated than I thought, so with the help of Facebook, a swedish website and google translate I think I have ordered a Tacx blue matic for £75 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@winsforddave)
Trusted Member

Jamie I've posted a comment on Antares rollers in the members section for you

ReplyQuote
Share: