This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Tools Swap-shop.

Notifications
Clear all

Tools Swap-shop.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tthew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure many of you on here are bike fiddlers like me, but with the increasing number of 'standards' available for many components it's getting pretty expensive to have a comprehensive tool kit. So, my idea is to post up here with any tool loan requests for weird things or dedicated tools that others just may have. I believe that the going rate for any help offered is a packet of biscuits or a couple of tinnies, and in every case undying gratitude.

OK then, I'll start. Does anyone have the tools to replace a Shimano press fit bottom bracket? (remove and press a new one in)

Ta.

Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

Think this is a good idea well thought of, and as far as I know you can put a new one in using a headset tool provided you make sure the cups are square

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Titch, but unless the headset that your press is designed for has exactly the same diameter as the BB bearing you want to press in, there's a high risk of damaging it as you put it in. 2nd point is I don't have a headset press either. 😀

If it's an emergency it can be done with some large sockets, stud bar, washers and nuts, but again the sockets have to be the same diameter as the outer race of the new bearings.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

yep hadn't thought of thats, that's why i much prefer the god old threaded british bb

ReplyQuote
 phil
(@phil)
Trusted Member

i have a head set press if it will do

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I have a bb30 cup tool, and also the shimano crack bolt tool (the plastic thing).

I also have a chain whip and shimano cassette adapter.

And more Allen keys than you can shake a stick at.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

This is a great idea by the way!

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank Kris, it's the other 'standard' I'm after, and I couldn't agree more about threaded bottom brackets Titch, I'd have gone that route if there was a choice.

I've ordered one now, so if anyone needs it in future...

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

I've got a big lump hammer if that helps!

ReplyQuote
Share: