This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Manchester 100

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just got great news about a new womens cycling initiative for Manchester - think its a great idea so if you know any friends, girlfriends, sisters, daughters or mothers that say they want to ride but dont know where to start please let them know.
(Can we manage this with no lewd comments, Les? )

100/100 Glow for Women

We aim to get 100 women cycling the Manchester 100 cycle sportive event on 4th September 2011 and sharing that 100/100 glow.

We believe it will be the first time 100 women have gathered together with their bikes in South Manchester. We would like this to be an inspirational moment for women and girls with aspirations of being a bigger cyclist! You have to want it….
- That deep sense of satisfaction and slightly smug 'didn't I do well' attitude
- That glow from the inside outwards with one of those smiles that stretches your facial muscles
- The experience that has you on Twitter saying 'OMG just cycled 100 miles'
- The one where you ask how many calories was that and think now I can eat and drink whatever I fancy

Add to the glow and raise £100 for Christies.
This challenge is supported by Cycle Logic – bike shop in Chorlton; Manchester Wheelers and Bike Right!

For more info on the event and to register your place : http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=286

Training rides from May – Sept 2011

In support of the event we are running this 10 Sunday session programme for women wanting to be fit and strong enough to ride the Manchester 100 miles charity sportive event in September 2011
- 15, 22 and 29th May ( 25 – 35miles)
- 12 and 26 June (40 –50miles)
- 10 and 24 July (60 – 70miles)
- 7 and 21 August (80 – 90miles
- 4 September 100 miles or 100 km

You can expect to:
- be healthier and burn calories
- feel confident to ride in a group
- know how to deal with roadside bike repairs e.g. puncture, slipping gears, brake adjustments
- build up your miles gradually over 4 months from 25 mile rides with café stops to the 100 mile event
- hear about other training events and challenge opportunities and be introduced to some useful cycling contacts

You need to:
- have a roadworthy hybrid or road bike (not a mountain bike because they don’t have the right gearing for cycling on the road in a group), we can even help you get your bike serviced
- make a regular date with your inner cyclist; commit to the improving your fitness levels even if you can't make all 10 sessions
- make a donation of approx £10 a session and still have enough money for cafe stops. (I am looking for sponsors)

For more information contact Glynis Francis on 07780900811 or glynisjoyfrancis@gmail.com and www.glynisfrancis.co.uk
To follow us go to http://100-100glow.blogspot.com/

(@les-charnley)
Trusted Member

Hi Claire, I will let you know nearer the time, If I can get the operation done, I don't see a problem.The good thing is I don't have to change my name, which will save me money not having to pay Deed Poll costs. I can sing either way ( with my name). So put me down, if things don't work out I'll ride the mens event. Les (half way house) Charnley.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is an e-mail from 100/100 Glow for women:

'BikeRight! are offering us tailored and reduced cost Bike Maintenance courses. http://www.bikeright.co.uk/services2/maintenance_and_sales/

The first one is on Saturday 14th May if you or any Weaver Valley women are interested. These one day workshops usually cost £66 and Liz Clarke, the MD for Bike Right and one of our 100 women is offering a tailored course at the reduced cost of £50 for Glow women. Fantastic offer – thank you Liz.'

ReplyQuote
Share: