This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Lance Armstrong

92 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think many club members have been shocked and saddened by the details in the report sent by USADA to the UCI this week and published to the media. I am sure that WVCC members have had to face lots of questions from friends and family about ‘what do you think about Lance?’ I don’t think that it is necessary to defend cycling by attempting to defend the indefensible. (A great deal of information has been out there for a long time anyway.)

In fact, in Great Britain, we have a lot to be proud of. Britain wasn’t a strong presence on the continent in the doping era, because historically, isolated on our island, we were time triallists. It is only now, at the end of the doping era that Britain has become a dominant force in road racing internationally through Cavendish, Wiggins and Team Sky. We got there via the clean route of Olympic track cycling with Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton. In some ways we as a cycling nation have avoided most of the more recent doping controversies, if you don't include the tragedy of Tommy Simpson.

Everyone agrees that Bradley Wiggins, our first Tour de France winner is racing clean. Maybe Britain is showing leadership in the sport, and proving how you can race clean and win. So my opinion is this - don’t try to defend Lance, but speak instead of the success of our own British heroes, who have achieved greatness through hard work and ‘marginal gains’.

karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

Lance Armstrong....

"Its not about the bike"...

Maybe he needs to write the sequel to his first book...

"Its about the drugs".

I feel sorry for all the guys in the poloton at that time who were riding clean and getting nowhere... travesty..

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well said, Karl! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@craig)
Estimable Member

Don't believe everything you hear and read in the media, there are several agendas being played out here and lots of pawns.

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

I hear you Craig. At the end of the day, none of us know the truth really...

If none of it is true, then somehow he managed to make a lot of serious enemies.. 😯

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

The guys a cheating yank and so was eveyone else in that era. You couldn't compete at the top level without taking drugs back then.

The sports moved on since then and hopefully will never go back. The best thing the sport can do is forget what has happned and just move on.

The guy is an utter tosser. If he had the BALLS 😀 he would hold his hands up and confess all.

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

I do wish people would just say what they think rather than procrastinatainatatatataning... ! 😆

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

@karl wrote:

I do wish people would just say what they think rather than procrastinatainatatatataning... ! 😆

Hear me now 😆

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I get it now.......finally! 😳

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

What? Lance accused of taking drugs! when did that story break? I haven't heard anything about it..
[says a man that has been living on the international space station for the LAST 3 MONTHS] Oh why wont it go away mummy ?
He is certainly off my Christmas card list.
J

PS I could have done with some off 'Lances Special Cough Medicine' today as I ventured out for the first time with Jules and the Saturday crowd... you should have seen me coming thru the forest, not a pretty sight!

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

@JimW wrote:

What? Lance accused of taking drugs! when did that story break? I haven't heard anything about it..
[says a man that has been living on the international space station for the LAST 3 MONTHS] Oh why wont it go away mummy ?
He is certainly off my Christmas card list.
J

PS I could have done with some off 'Lances Special Cough Medicine' today as I ventured out for the first time with Jules and the Saturday crowd... you should have seen me coming thru the forest, not a pretty sight!

Jim you we're flying. Couldn't get you off the front from Chester to the Mills 😀

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

I always had my suspicions as he frequently looked spaced out when he was on the bike ..... but then what else would you expect from a man called Armstrong! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is a very good summary of the situation so far...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/cycling-america-refuses-to-accept-a-heros-downfall-8210381.html

ReplyQuote
(@alexmolyneux91)
Eminent Member

Personally more disappointed with Hincapie and Barry.

As for Lance,I feel he's been made the scapegoat (not that I'm defending him in any way).

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

Don't think he's a scapegoat, but he is a big target and a big scalp for the USADA especially, who have been red faced after previous unsuccessful attempts to find him guilty.
What isn't adequately covered is the corporate involvement in the funding and supply of the substances. It is a bigger picture than Lance Armstrong or any of the other riders. He cannot alone control every aspect of the supply, administering, covering up or diversion from drug taking. It needs co-operation from many parties at all levels.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share: