This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Clay Lane Bridge Re...

Notifications
Clear all

Clay Lane Bridge Replacement by Whitegate

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@paul-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

From today the bridge is closed (the one with the traffic lights on) however I understand there should be pedestrian access.

kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

good to know, that's my route to the social club 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

shut for 5 months apparantley http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/your_council/public_notices/road_closures/temporary_road_closures/marton_-_clay_lane-1.aspx

someone could do with seeing if we can get through on a bike, as it is the route to the mills via bangor on dee

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Go left at top of cinder hill after Whitegate, right at T ' then 2nd exit off island (sp Chester) then left after 1.5 miles back route and only added about 2 miles,,,,

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Went over the bridge today but pretty sure you won't be able to very soon. 3 blokes were erecting scaffolding on either side but they said it was OK for me to cross. There are 3 big concrete pipe sections on either side of the bridge to stop cars and they have already painted lines on the road showing where they are going to remove the bridge. I recon it will be out pretty shortly. I suspect that they will put a temporary path in for pedestrians but no sign of one yet.

Another option to get around is to turn left at Whitegate like Jimmy suggests, then drop down the hill and get up on to the Whitegate Way at the right turn just before the bridge crossing and ride back a few hundred metres to come out in the car park at Whitegate Station and back on to the road on the other side of the bridge.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Well the good news is that we crossed the bridge today, however...from the bridge to Oulton pk entrance and beyond, there was a strong smell of diesel and an oily film right across the road, it was like riding on ice, at OP I reported matter to the Police.. Our tyres had a 'sludgey' film on them, resulting in us having to (very carefully) come back to our house and decrease the tyres.

So use the road at your own risk...

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

I rode down there too, bit dodgy but it seems as though a gritter has now been down. The oil is worse after you cross the main road to Oulton Park.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

@woody wrote:

I rode down there too, bit dodgy but it seems as though a gritter has now been down. The oil is worse after you cross the main road to Oulton Park.

Should have come out with us Woody

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Not fit enough to keep with you boys at the moment!

ReplyQuote
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member

passable on the pavement today. Looks like there will be a temporary path on the scaffolding similar to the one last year in Davenham so should be an ok route while work is going on.

ReplyQuote
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member

And oil on road was bad at 9:00 this morning, thought I had a puncture when my back wheel was sliding around until I realised it was a diesel spill!

Kept going to Bickerton & Nantwich and tyres seemed to be ok but quite weird when I gave my bike a quick hose down when I got home, the water was beading on the entire bike & spokes just like it had been waxoyled! Haven't wiped it off as it will probably give a bit of protection for the next few weeks! 😆

ReplyQuote
Share: