This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

a sunday in hell on...

Notifications
Clear all

a sunday in hell on you tube

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-b)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Jorgen Leth's iconic documentary of the '76 Paris Roubaix is on YouTube in full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IDCkcnnHg&feature=player_embedded

(@alank)
Trusted Member

Great link Tim, Have just watched some of "Sunday in Hell" and am still awestruck by watching Merkxc the greatest rider ever in my opinion , not that I am opinionated , plus seeing such classy riders as Hennie Kuiper, Moser and De Vlaeminck in the thick of it . It is so captivating and motivating to me and has revived some great personal memories .A favourite is of seeing Eddy beat Gimondi to the World road race title in Mendrisio in the early 70s after the 2 had dropped Guimard on the last lap. With thousands of rival supporters split into 2 camps screaming their favourites name ( I was for Eddie, and deafened everyone)) the atmosphere was electrified as Eddie lead all the way down the straight for a brilliant win. Quick as a flash i crawled under the grandstand onto the circuit as Eddie came to a stop , ran up to him , putting one hand on his bike saddle to steady the bike and the other hand patting him on his back as I emotionally congratulated him before he was swamped by a mass of fans and press photographers.
Only 2 or 3 years later Weaver Valley`s Paul Sherwen ( Ewarts big rival previously) was mixing it with a lot of the big names of "Sunday in Hell" ( Gives an idea of how tough our clubruns were then). Great picture of Paul in Graham Watson`s " Visions of Cycling" taken at the finish of 1983 Paris -Roubaix where Paul looks in agony and the caption is "even his mother cried after seeing this picture of her son"

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Cheers for sharing this, been meaning to buy this on dvd.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-b)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i take it the cheques in the post then

ReplyQuote
Share: