This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Sunday club run, 21...

Notifications
Clear all

Sunday club run, 21/02/10

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well Tim, I like it. Well done! Let's hope the word spreads quickly. A forum like this has a lot of potential. I think one particular benefit will be to newer members who can ask questions about anything to do with cycling. This will give more experienced members the chance to pass on their expertise.

Here follows my post on today's ride.

I trundled down to the Legion this morning on my trike expecting that the heavy snowfall would have put everyone off. I was wrong. Nick was already there on his mountain bike and Jon Conboy turned up on his shortly after. We met up with Kevin Campbell near the Blue Bridge on the bypass and set off down the carriage drive towards Vale Royal. I found the going very dicey with my rear slick tyres offering traction only on the flat. In contrast, the guys on mountain bikes seemed to be managing perfectly well, especially on the slight climb up to the Abbey. My two rear wheels were spinning but there was no forward motion so I had to get off and walk. We eventually ended up on the Whitegate Way at Knight's Grange and I was expecting to find things much easier, but no! I'd never really noticed it before but the stretch from Knight's Grange up to the old Station is in fact slightly up hill. This didn't help but the main problem was the disturbed snow which had me rocking all over the place like riding over rocks. I discovered later that this had been produced by a very large group of ladies who were on a 12 mile charity walk. I could see my riding chums gradually getting smaller as I fell further behind. They slowed and waited for me and at this point, I decided to say goodbye and rejoined the road at Whitegate Station and back home to Sandiway. Next time I find myself on the trike off road and in thick snow, I must be sure to fit some snow tyres.

I'd like to take this opportunity of wishing all those who are 'doing' Llanberis next weekend a good ride. Some of you may already know that I have been planning an extended trip to Southern Ireland in my Quest velomobile but a number of things have delayed my departure, not least of which has been the lousy weather. I may get off this week but I'll probably leave Ireland for another trip.

Finally, I hope the forthcoming event in the Watts family goes smoothly.

Regards to you all,

Jed.

(@sallyann)

Jed,

Thanks

Sarah and Tim

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

Hi Jed!

Hubby Neil came back from the Co-op on Sunday morning, saying that he'd just seen 20 club riders pass him. Needless to say, my face looked a bit guilty! 🙄 It is a relief to know that he was just teasing me! Well done to you and the intrepid trio with you, and have a great time in Ireland if you make it next weekend!

Claire

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

Hi Jed

We were wondering where you got to!! The three of us made it to the Station cafe, with a drink and something to eat, we set off to do a bit more. Nick and I went on and did Old Pale, Jon decided against it and headed for home.

It was a strange sort of day really as by the time I got home the snow had all but disappeared 😥

Best of luck in Ireland, I'm sure the Irish will love the quest as much as the english : 😆

Kev

ReplyQuote
(@garry_date)

hi jed did you get my email.

should come up here if the quest i have found a new cafe in windermere we could do a nice 60mile loop there and back with a few hills in the mix.

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Claire and Kev, thanks for your good wishes. The next few days are looking damp so I may well hang on for an improvement in the weather. Cold and wind I don't mind so much but being wet all day doesn't appeal.
Gary. I appreciate the offer but steep hills and 'Quest' don't go well together. All the best with your forthcoming event.

Regards from Jed.

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Great forum Tim. This will be much more user friendly than the blogs.

ReplyQuote
Share: