This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Long Run

Notifications
Clear all

Long Run

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@woody)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Good ride today, nice rattle around South Cheshire before heading back up North via Congleton for a climb of the Wizard from the village side.

Shout out to our younger members especially Elliot and Katie who were mixing it up when it got tasty. Young Katie even taking to the front to drag us all home from Lach Dennis!

(@simon-h)
Eminent Member

Short run was fun too. What we lacked in leadership we made up for in good humour and navigational skills. Maybe 😉

We had only made it to Oulton Park when BANG! it sounded like one of the cars over at the circuit had backfired. Unfortunately it was Ian's tyre bursting and frightening the local squirrels in the process. After he had repaired it well enough to allow him to limp home - hope you made it Ian - the rest of us soldiered on into the wilds of the Cheshire countryside, unencumbered by a plan or anything resembling a sense of purpose. 😀 Any comparisons to SKY losing Kanstantsin Siutsou and Edvald Boasson Hagen early on in the Tour de France are entirely valid.

Incidentally, during this unscheduled rest, Chris filled me in on some interesting facts about Oulton Park and what goes on in there. He really is a mine of information, well done Chris. 😉 I'd better not tease him too much as a) he is much fitter than me and b) he has very kindly offered me an entry to the Wild Wales Challenge - thanks mate. 😀

After some emergency squabbling*, a combination of local advice and Garmin mapping guided us out to Wrenbury, where we waited for the amazing bridge thingy to let the barges through. John soldiered onwards on a mission to find some decent beans on toast no doubt. 🙂 We had done a decent 30 miles so it seemed an appropriate place for a stop, and we trundled our bikes around the back of the Dusty Miller. Not perhaps the intended destination or even a traditional cycling one, but needs must. In this establishment we discovered its rather amazing bridges out to tables at the back and also Nikki's self-avowed predilection for Spotted Dick. The complete lack of off-colour comments about this choice of pudding was testament to the sheer class of the group, well done everybody. 😉

The way home was uneventful save for Will, recently returned from the High Seas, showing us that he is pretty good on two wheels as well as on the ocean wave. More remarkable was that we didn't get lost once and that we managed to all stay together, sort of.

Thanks to everyone for a good day out on the bike. It may not have been super organised but it was fun!

Simon

*not really

ps pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonhowells/sets/72157634827555347/

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Good ride today. Better given we missed the rain.

Some quality riders in the club!

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Great run today!!
Thanks to Woody for stepping up and leading us on a most original route to Henbury!!!! 😆

I also was very impressed with the youngsters amongst us, good strong riders!! 😀

Fab company as always and one of the largest tea cakes I've ever had!!! 😆

See you next week!! 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

good ride on sunday, unfortunately not out this sunday.

ReplyQuote
Share: