This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Loggerheads Septemb...

Notifications
Clear all

Loggerheads September 9th

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

9 (fool) hardy souls set off on the long run today to Loggerheads; Me, Carol, Chris G, Chris B, Gareth, Tim, Lee, Tony and Orbea Rob. The weather was fantastic and we went on a direct route via the forest and Tarvin towards Chester but lost Lee before Chester as he had domestic duties calling.
A relaxed and reasonable pace took us through Chester, down through Lache and up towards Mold. I was suffering at this point after spending 8 hours working in the garden over the previous couple of days (i'm getting so old).
The steady climb up to Pantymwyn was followed by a short rapid descent and up again via the tough little climb (1 in 4?) to Cilcain. After the tricky, narrow, gravelly descent to Loggerheads Rob, Tim and Gareth headed for home while the remaining 5 of us went up the main road towards Ruthin. Turning right before the bottom of the hill we then headed up towards the promised land of Moel Famau and it's 20% plus sharp bend along with the other mile of 15% hill. Tony's ascent was brought to a swift halt by a car that was struggling with the climb and started going backwards. Regrouping at the top Chris B summed the climb up well with, 'that's just not right!". We were rewarded for our efforts however with a 50 mph descent to the cafe at Loggerheads and a very well earned rest and feed.
Coming out of the cafe we were all greeted with a healthy dose of cafe legs for the climb up the Rainbow and then coming down the other side Chris B had a hairy moment when his front tyre blew out at 40mph.
The wind had risen by this time and thankfully it was a good tailwind. This meant that an excellent pace was maintained - 23 - 25 mph to Chester. Through Chester I dropped one of my bottles and, taking a swig when I retrieved it from the road I discovered the top had been broken and I was covered with sticky orange drink. The wind was perfect for the ride out of Chester which meant a steady 30 mph or so going along the A56 to Tarvin and beyond. It was during this dash that some bright spark (Tony) had the idea of putting a 'sting in the tail', the sting being a climb up Kelsall hill and over the top towards the forest. Obviously suffering from serious oxygen debt 4 of us thought this was a good idea but Chris G made the wise move of turning left before Kelsall and heading home. At the bottom of Kelsall hill, Chris B announced he'd 'gone' and slowed until he was overtaken by snails and beetles. It turns out that Chris had been to Blackpool the previous evening and had still been partying at 3 am so it's pretty amazing he made it that far.
Carol lead us up the climb and we all re-grouped at the bottom following another swift descent.
We all agreed that, as we were all so tired, there would be no race through the forest. Of course having brains like peas we all instantly forgot this and Carol started things off, Tony attacked too early and i thought i had it when i jumped after a van and car that had come past. Chris though had a miraculous resurrection and came around us all for a memorable win.
We all agreed it was an excellent and 'slightly' tough day, everyone looking after each other, riding sensibly and having fun.
I returned home with 102 miles on the clock and after around 4,800 feet of climbing. A brilliant day, legs tired beyond tired. Can't wait till next time.

(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Fantastic blog John!!! It was a brilliant day!! It was the flapjack that helped me home!! But I'm sure I don't remember starting the race through the forest, maybe I was delirious by this point haha!!
That climb up Moel Famau has got to be one of the hardest I've ever done but cant wait to do it again 😮
Great company, great banter!! Thanks John for leading will miss your company and blogs over the next few weeks! See you all soon!! 😀
P.S. I'm sure you only took us up that climb to shut me up 😉

ReplyQuote
(@chris-buckley)
Eminent Member

Brilliant blog as always. Fantastic ride today. That's the longest single ride I've ever done and boy do I know that I did it.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Looks like I missed a great day!

Did anyone capture a GPX of the route?

ReplyQuote
(@tonyb)
Eminent Member

Hi John and eveyone else - yes it was a fantastic day out and I got my second consecutive sunday 100 with a few extra miles in.

Where ChrisB got that energy from on the finish line at delamere I do not know?

Thanks again John for a great ride.
ps. Am sure iv'e seen another loggerheads ride October 7th so no gardening next time.

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It was a great ride wasn't it?

Chris had obviously been using classic sprinters tactics of pretending to be off colour when in fact he was just gathering himself for the sprint.

Perhaps next time we can make it a little harder by starting at the very bottom of Moel Famau in Ruthin?

I don't have a file of the route sorry Kris, it's in my head though. How did you get on?

ReplyQuote
(@gareth)
Eminent Member

Nice blog John, sounds like you guys had fun! Just a correction though as I think it was Tim who turned back before Chester and it was Lee and Orbea Rob that I rode back with. Certainly wouldn't forget Lee after the punishment he was dishing out with Rob. We hammered it back, Team-Time-Trial style, hitting close to 40mph at points on what were nearly flat roads. I tried to tell them to leave me be, but they both insisted I rode with them. So I clung on for what turned out to be an 84 mile ride with no cafe stop! Only towards the end of the ride did Lee turn to me and say that he used to be on the GB squad, trained with a certain Mr Hoy and Mr Wiggins and narrowly missed out on competing at the Olympics. I suddenly didn't feel quite so bad, and felt a whole lot better once I got in a devoured a whole pizza to myself!

Cheers guys, was possibly the toughest ride I've done in ages - but I needed it!

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Gareth,

Sorry about the error; blame it on extreme fatigue. It was brilliant coming back wasn't it? Our legs were so shot though 30 mph was 'all' we could manage.

See you soon.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Anyone got a GPX they could send me?

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Kris would you be able to take a gpx file from my garmin if I send you the link through Facebook?

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Yeah, that'll work. Thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Will send it tomorrow 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: