This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Club Run Sunday 5th...

Notifications
Clear all

Club Run Sunday 5th Jan

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Long Run Loggerheads (Hilly)
Short Run Candle Factory or Teddy Bear cafe (Hilly via Hart Hill)

(@jules)
Honorable Member

Hi all,

The Met Office is warning of Ice and Black Ice in the NW tomorrow morning. The roads are soaking due to run off and likely to freeze overnight.

Extract from the BBC

"The Met Office is predicting heavy rain and ice on Sunday, with severe ice warnings issued for north Wales, Scotland and north-west England, and warnings of travel disruption as stretches of road freeze overnight on Saturday."

If your out tomorrow please take care and pick you route carefully. Leader Al isn't out due to being ill and I'm not taking the risk.

Be safe!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@Jules wrote:

Hi all,

The Met Office is warning of Ice and Black Ice in the NW tomorrow morning. The roads are soaking due to run off and likely to freeze overnight.

If your out tomorrow please take care and pick you route carefully. Leader Al isn't out due to being ill and I'm not taking the risk.

Be safe!!!!

As Jules says I won't be out tomorrow full of cold and wezzie chest so if you go out Please be carefull

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

So does that mean noones going yo loggerheads?

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Well there was no ice on the roads to speak of, 13 hardy souls met at the Legion, we decided to stick to good A and B roads and head off to Holt, I turned short just after Eaton (feeling Saturdays efforts, although I wasn't alone in this, even Alan Kemp was saying their training run was fierce)
Philip Sharroch and Andy, turned short at Gallentry Bank.
I trundled through Tarporly, Waverton to arrive at Holt at about noon, Phil and Andy where already there.
The other group arrived at about 12:30, just as we were getting ready to leave.
And so it was, the 3 Amigos slogged into the rain and wind, through Saighton, Pump Lane to Tattenhall (were Phil and I de-caped) on through Tarporley, Whitegate and home, we three were pretty battered at the end, but I got 55 miles in the bag...feeling a lot better after a shower and a cup of tea ! Cushty....Oh and I think we all stayed vertical .

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

I crossed a few club mates just after Saighton yesterday as I was following my nose doing a 3 hour session (30 mins base followed by 30 mins tempo x 3 sets). Then did a gentle 30 minute cool down at the end as I was starting to bonk having eaten very little that morning and nothing on the ride. Got home with 67 miles on the clock, raided the fridge and fell asleep in front of the fire before waking up and going out to watch Revolution.

Woke this morning at 7:30 and cars and roofs were frosted up so had a lie in, leaving house at 10:15. Stuck to A-Roads in case of ice, going via Penny's Lane to A50 and then due South down A50 into strong headwind, via Alsager, Newcastle -U-Lyme, Trentham to Stone. Due to wind / hills / traffic lights it took me 2 hours to get to Stone where I turned right for strong cross tail wind down the A51 which was just as well as there are a few nasty little hills on that road and I was on 81" fixed with a heavy saddlebag. I was down for a 5 hour endurance ride and realized that with the strong tail wind I would be back too soon, so I turned left down the A53 through Loggerheads to Market Drayton at 48 miles and 3 hours in. Turned right to go due North via Audlem to Nantwich with a really strong tail wind and cold rain on my back. Stopped very briefly to put jacket on but didn't stop again until back home.

Due to the wind I was riding at over 20 mph for most of the final 2 hours so added a few little detours on around Tarporley and again nearer to Northwich. I stopped the clock at 4hrs 58mins and 27 seconds and 85 miles covered, so not bad but with hindsight I should have turned right down Lydiate Lane, left down Townfield Lane and left down Hickson street to put that extra 1 minute and 33 seconds on the clock!!! 🙁 (I don't have OCD honest 😳 )

I averaged 17.1 mph but did 4,500 ft of climbing so not bad. My target training zone was between 160 - 220 watts and I averaged 210 watts for the entire ride so mission accomplished. More importantly I really enjoyed the ride which as always followed a route that I had never done before even though I've ridden all of these roads before using different routes. I often add on detours just to ride a couple of lanes that I've never ridden before and it amazes me how many different variations you can come up with, using a bit of imagination.

This week will finish off a tough 3 week block with 1 strength session on the turbo Tuesday, 2 hours alternating base / tempo Wednesday and a hilly tempo ride Friday before a 150 'ish mile epic next Sunday. I'm sure I can find a few new lanes for that ride. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: