This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Club Run Sunday 26t...

Notifications
Clear all

Club Run Sunday 26th Jan

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Long Run Dagfields (Flat)
Short Run Audlem (Flat)

(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

In a last minute - oops we forgot the Freewheel Competition moment - the Sunday club run on 26th is replaced by the aforementioned event.

For the newer riders amongst us who don't know what this is, well, it's a simple concept. We ride out from Hartford as per usual, in the general direction of Henbury. Close to our usual cafe stop, we find a big hill, cycle to the top, then each rider who wishes to, has their pedal tied to their frame (so that no assistance is given), and is gently pushed. The idea being that you don't pedal but 'Freewheel' (clever eh?), as far as you can down the hill.

The person that 'freewheels' furthest wins. Simple.

We then cycle to the cafe to laugh at each other, and congratulate John Keen if he turns up to win(!)

All good fun, with a prize at the Club Dinner. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

In conditions that will from now on will be described as, 'You're not going out in that are you, you fool', 10 eccentric English people congregated at the Legion this morning. I arrived fashionably late to groans from Steve Thomas and threats of further damage to my left knee. Although i laughed it appeared from the look on Steve's face that he was at least a little serious, or perhaps that was the cold that had already set his face into a rictus grin. Along with Steve there was Alan, Ady, Carol, Jon C, Elliot and his Dad, Jamie, 1 other who's name escapes me and me.

And so it was that we set off into the teeth of an Arctic gale for the annual festival of downhill japery. We went the scenic (i.e. not direct) route, taking in Wincham, Great Budworth, Knutsford and Chelford. Jon C had evidently upset the puncture gods, having the misfortune to get a flat tyre. While Jon was bending over his machine removing the wheel, Alan got out his 'examination' gloves and got on with it. Removing the tyre that is. The thing with someone puncturing is that on the one hand you feel sorry for them, particularly on a bitterly cold day like today, numb fingers and all, on the other hand you breathe a small sigh of relief as it reduces the chances of you succumbing to the same fate. So well done Jon on taking one for the team!

The thing with a club run is there is always someone talking somewhere (usually Carol). You can always tell when conditions are really bad though, as a grim, determined silence descends on the group, sometimes with a breathed mutter of, 'I am enjoying myself, i am enjoying myself, i am enjoying myself...', to be heard somewhere. A half hour or so after Jon's puncture, heading out through Mobberley, occasionally through flooded roads and sometimes leaning at 45 degrees into the wind, Jon did the gallant thing and punctured again. This stop in freezing rain and a force 8 was met with much glee.

We set off again through Warford and on to Chelford where the group cleverly split in 2 to try to deceive the wind. It didn't work. My little party went towards Macclesfield and right past Capesthorne then left past Redesmere.

And so to the downhill. Carol opted out of competing saying that she was a serious athlete and she didn't want the press to know what she was up to. And so she rode to the bottom and refereed/commiserated/congratulated. Alan pushed each of us off into the headwind and usually as soon as he stopped pushing the rider slowed right down as the wind did it's worst. So we all got down, Jon finishing in 3rd, Jamie in 2nd and i just managed to retain, 'The Most Important Trophy Of The Year'. (Otherwise known as the, 'Only One I Am Ever Likely To Win').

After garlands, wreaths, champagne spraying and interviews we had a quick conflab and decided that due to the climactic conditions we would skip the cafe and head straight home. Steve Thomas turned off to home up Bosley, not the same one as in Charlie's Angels I assume, I peeled off with (I am sorry i have forgotten your name!) at Goostrey. I got home with a little over 50 miles in the bag and the kind of feeling that usually comes from subjecting yourself to a Japanese gameshow style torture.

Great ride, thanks for the company see you nxt tme (text speak there to keep the kids happy). Thank you for the leading and pushing off Alan.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Paul & Connor both turned up to join in for the jolly jape. 🙂
Photographic style evidence will be posted shortly of John's downhill endeavours...
That was a hideously hard day on the bike though. 72.59 miles on the clock when I limped to my front door.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

https://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/a-bit-of-windy-rainy-freewheeling/ for a pic. of our winner.

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Regardless of the wind ,rain and mud I still enjoyed myself as much as usual! Soaked to the skin when I got in and had to thaw out before I even attempted a shower!!!

I'm sure I wasn't talking to myself John Keen!!! You should have kept up the singing to drown me out 😉

Thanks for your company guys and see you next week 😀

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

@Carol R wrote:

I'm sure I wasn't talking to myself John Keen!!! You should have kept up the singing to drown me out 😉

You know i love talking to you Carol, our subject yesterday on childhood illness and big spiders was particularly good!!

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Congratulations on the win John, what is the secret of your success, technique or bone density!? 😆

I had a 7am start yesterday as I had the M&DTTA prize presentation at Middlewich at Noon, so had to get my 5 hours in and then meet Caroline and Connor there for a quick change. Got absolutely drowned and battled into the wind all the way to Ellesmere via Tarvin, Farndon, Worthenbury and the lanes to Overton which were just awash with all sort of crap. The inevitable happened and I punctured right next to the mere in Ellesmere which was of course the furthest point from home! I had a pig of a job getting a thorn out and had to use pliers in the end so my hands went numb with the cold and I struggled to get the tyre back on and to tighten the valve as couldn't feel anything with my hands.

I then had a seriously strong tail wind all the way back through Whitchurch, Nantwich and back down the main drag to Middlewich. It wasn't all plain sailing though as my chain snapped (again as this happened 2 months ago) at Welshampton. Yet again the back plate on the split link snapped in 2 but the chain stayed together held on by the remains of the back plate so I carried on with a big crunch every time the broken link went round the rear sprocket. At Aston my fixed wheel suddenly freewheeled and I looked back to see my chain lying in the road. Fortunately I now always carry a spare split link so I was on my way again in 5 minutes. Ended up with 76 miles on the clock in 4:34 and of course the rain stopped, the wind died and the skies were blue by 2:30 but at that point I was indoors!! I think I need to find a new type of split link as these ones are clearly not up to the job.

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

Thanks Dave, I think the secret to the success is just being dense actually.

Sounds like you had an equally hard, 'character building' day.

Why split links? Surely these are weaker than a properly connected chain?

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

HHave you tried the KMC snap links? I am paranoid about such things (especially on fixed where you don't really have the option of shortening your chain etc) and carry 2 of the beasties.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/kmc-z410-1-8-snap-on-link.html?utm_source=froogle&gclid=COnC-Ka2nrwCFQ0K3godSF0AUw

Other retailers are available....

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member

It was a good day yesterday all tho a hard one and to see someone freewheel uphill never mind downhill was a sight in its self. I think most of us would fall off trying it 😆

I got back with 61miles done but with an Avarage of only 15.6mph , which I think tells how hard it was out there

ReplyQuote
Share: