This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Buxton on Sunday

Notifications
Clear all

Buxton on Sunday

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to Buxton on Sunday via Wildboarclough valley and Goyt valley on the way back.

No cafe stop.

Eccles cakes a necessity!

Anyone interested?

(@craig)
Estimable Member

All I can say is Brave Man,

ReplyQuote
(@rob-d)

John, have you checked the forecast ! I was up there this afternoon 😳 and it's fair to say there was a bit of a breeze...add the rain and low temperature and you'll need more than Eccles cakes and a C59 ! Enjoy.

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A small report on today's travails......

Well today was 'wonderful'. for all the wrong reasons. Where we live must be a little bit sheltered because when i looked out of the window this morning I thought, 'It's not that bad!', and set off. As soon as i got on to an open bit of road if the wind wasn't blowing me over (very nearly a couple of times), it was reducing me to a complete standstill. As i got higher the wind got windier, the rain got rainier and the cold got colder. Through the valleys and over the top the headwind was so fierce at times i was in my bottom gear and standing up on the flat just to keep going. It was and i concede i am, completely mental. Lowest temperature of the day was 38 degrees f. I made the mistake of having the wrong gloves so 3 fingers on each hand were completely numb for most of the ride. The bonus was being blown home - something i needed as i was completely wasted by then. So, 60 odd miles in a little over 4 hours - much better than just reading the paper. The fact i enjoyed it so much i know says reams about me.

Mind you, for all those that think i'm a loony, how about the 'old timer' i passed coming out of Macc when i was going up the hill - he had a cotton cap on and.......shorts.........

See you all soon on a bright and sunny day.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Anybody that went out today in my book were mad 😉 but fair play John you got the miles in.

Elaine and I were having a coffee at Tesco this morning. There was a cyclist sitting in shorts and short sleeve top. No waterproofs at all. He was shivering like you would not believe. Expecting him to be waiting to be picked up. He put his helmet and fingerless gloves on and got back on his bike!!!!!! I hope he's ok but what a numpty 😯

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

John, you clearly have a screw loose. Presumably you're applying the philosophy that if the going gets tough, the tough get going. To Buxton in the rain. In my case the best decision I have ever made was to abandon the Ron Sant ride today after twenty minutes, and enjoy a nice lazy day at home!!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

The Ron Sant today has to be one of the toughest days on the bike I have had in a long time. Never have I ridden for so long in such weather conditions. But it was for a good cause. Well done to Derek for all the hard work he put in organising it, and all the grub he laid on for those intrepid souls who managed to make it back...can't wait for the blog report, should be a classic in itself.

Is this the start of another annual award to rival the wobbly wheeler? If it is then I would start with John K, and Matthew H (who did the whole thing on fixed gear!!)

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Share: