This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Battered

Notifications
Clear all

Battered

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well.

Today i was soundly battered. Without a doubt the hardest day i can remember on the bike. The joy.

After 3 weeks of long runs that went off at a sedate pace on flat roads, this week young Mr Duffy decided to reintroduce a long run at a 'decent' pace. In the first 20 miles we headed Frodsham way and acquainted ourselves with those lumps before taking on the Yeld. From there we went down Chapel Lane and thence on a long and swift loop to The Plassey by which time everyone else was still chatting happily and my eyeballs were hanging out.

A fine lunch served by some very fine staff outside in the sunshine was accompanied by some very friendly autumn wasps. Lunch was over all too quickly and we headed back off home, via Malpas and Tarporley. Here is when things started to go wrong for me. The knee on my weak leg, which had been giving some pain in the miles before the Plassey, seemed to throw in the towel altogether. Every lump in the road seemed like a mountain to me and the pain was something to remember (or forget). Many thanks to everyone that dropped back to pace me back to the group again and again. The group split at Eaton and Colin and i went our own way at Whitegate, me hanging on to Colin's wheel again all the way back to Middlewich.

There were i think 11 of us that set out but Craig turned back after about 25 miles having to get home i think to carry out certain Catholic duties.

I do apologise to the names i don't know or have forgotten but i do know that Chris G, Jim D, Alan K, Ewart H, New Colin, Craig and Myself were out.

A really fantastic day to be out on the bike, great weather, not too hot or cold a fine route and excellent banter.

Thanks to everyone and notwithstanding the fact that i have been applying ice packs since i got home and am not able to walk, i had a really great day. Here's to next week. My name is John Keen and i am a masochist.

(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

Welcome back to the long run john ;-). Great blog too 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Great blog John! Hope the knee improves!

Was it quiet today????

I went for a quick spin in the afternoon and also tackled the Yeld as well as going up Chapel Lane!!

See you all in a few months!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Carol,
Much quieter without you yes. We missed you!
I have been heavily into the Diclofenac to get me sorted for a further hammering next weekend... Sadly i can't see me being up to the track night.

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

How are you finding them new tyres Mr Keen?

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Actually very impressed Jim. As of Sunday morning there was not a single cut in them and they do seem pretty grippy.

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

Glad to hear it.................

Hopefully see you soon

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

After yesterdays outing to the Tour Of Britain with Alan Kemp, Nick Butterworth and Steve Marlow I now know the word battered!. Great day though watching the tour at both the climbs Nick O Pendle and Pendle Big End from parking up at Great Harwood a short run to the first climb we got a great spot on the top to see the race climb the hill then over the other side, Then with Nick’s O/S map reading skills off to Barnoldswick to the next big climb, a rolling route of single track roads ,gated tracks and main race route roads with school children cheering us through the villages thinking we were part of the race,( how wrong they were) apart from Alan, Nick & Steve I was getting BATTERED so much so what a relief for the first cafe stop. So after the usual beans on toast/mug of coffee (No Cafe) off we set for Pendle Big End (Big being the operative word) from chasing the boys down for the last 20m we hit the climb. It started a steady gradient but the further you looked up the steeper it got, so with a quick look for the helicopter and camera bike off I got with 500m to go! The crowd on the hill were clapping and cheering me on but it wasn’t to be I was walking end of story. My response got a good laugh though “Over Dressed & Over Weight” 😆 I got to the top with even a better view of the race and scenery the crowds were brilliant .Then the return to our vans via a second cafe stop where I was presented with this 7lb Victoria Sponge that looked lovely but the thought in the back of my head was if I eat all that I’ve got to get it back over them hills but it did the trick and the 15m route back to the parking spot felt much easier plus my ride buddy Steve was starting to suffer . Thanks for the company on the drive up Al and Thanks for letting me tag along Nick/Steve Great day lads. (Now you know why I drive the van on the Llanberis weekend).. 😀

ReplyQuote
Share: