This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

A ride with Jimmy A...

Notifications
Clear all

A ride with Jimmy Audax williams

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

After a status on facebook asking wether 'anybody fancied a turn of the pedals' i got a reply from Jimmy saying 'i am planning a 200km Audax in the morning' so i replied and said what time etc '07.00 at co-op in hartford' well this was the first problem. 07.00AM is usually what time i get up at, every morning (usually) but Jim's obsurd meet of this time meant in order for me to have my pre ride Latte and porridge i would have to be up at 05.00.
05.00 sure enough the dreaded alarm went off, some of the thoughts that ran through my head was '5 more minutes' and 'i cba!' but i decided that with it waking me up i might aswell get up and do the ride. so off i tootled to meet Jim. the temperature was comfortably below 0oC but in the Audax fashion we set off through white gate on to eaton and so on but around where i would of turned to go down to beeston castle and then on to the ice cream farm etc the route was down to jimmy to navigate us on our adventure this is where i realised it was still only around 08.00/08.15 ish and we'd done 15/18 miles with a few small spats of ice. on we went winding through roads i didnt have a clue even existed let alone knew where they were, next minute i knew jimmy was directing me to the morrisons cafe which was one of the required places to stop and get a reciept or something to send to the audax Committe (or Association) it was well recieved with a scone a bacon butty and a coffee for my self and a ommelette with beans and mushrooms with a few mugs of tea for jimmy. we set off before 12.00 and headed on the route jimmy had said previously he was going to see how he felt after some food, it was obvious it had worked. for now. so we set a comfortable pace and meandered some more lanes until we got to cholmondley where jimmy decided he felt he was slowing me down and was going to head home as direct as possible. while i decided to take to lanes i didnt know but knew if i could get to bickerton, would get home. well i didnt get to bickerton but managed to find a way home and even stopped at the ice cream farm for some water to fill up my bottle. a truly great ride which I'm more than happy with and im sure jim will be too after having 10 days off the bike Due to a Bug of some sort. i finished with a 100 miles on the garmin and some rather sweaty clothing (it got warmer at the end of the day) thanks to jimmy for a great ride and i hope to ride another long one with you soon! 😀

Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

A good report Titch and well done to both of you.

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Another 25 miles and you've cracked it Titch! You are welcome to join the merry band of all day riders any time. Bit sneaky using that Facebook stuff so I didn't get hear of it Jim 😈

ReplyQuote
 les1
(@les1)
Reputable Member

Guys I would seriously need a big empty box to do that mileage a big well done. Derek when's the Ron Sant?

ReplyQuote
(@sydrim)

Well done from me too Titch.

I know that Audax rides are based on a points scoring system but is it a pre-requisite of Audax riders to sneak off on their own? I can see I'll have to keep an eye on this pair, otherwise they'll be getting up in the middle of the night and going missing for weeks - mind you, that may not be a bad thing (just joking Derek & Jim). BTW, I've entered the Mam Tor 200 this Sunday and the Chirk 200 the week after. Oops - should I have kept this a secret?

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Les

The Ron Sant is the 5th of May - hopefully no punctures and a dry day!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-984/

ReplyQuote
 les1
(@les1)
Reputable Member

Cool 2nd time lucky 😉 and that was my first puncture haha I remember it well, lovely warm sunny day just the right temperature to fix a puncture and head for home 😆

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

this may be a merry start of building up to a 400 one day but not to do it as a Audax but just as a bit of fun. but surprisingly my commute this morning was actually alright! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Titch if you go that far you might as well get the recognition for it. 400k 21-24 hours no sleep required.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

400km or in my speak 250 miles this should be pretty doable with maybe 3-4 scheduled stops to restock. I think it would be a big enough achievement to know in yourself that you have done it. plus it would look good on your weekly average mileage 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: