This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Very sad news about...

Notifications
Clear all

Very sad news about Alan Short

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Some very sad news about one of the clubs early members , Alan Short who tragically died whilst out on his bike on a lovely Sunny day in Canada last Thursday 2nd May 2013.

Alan was a Barnton lad , very popular , witty and ace guitarist who had a brilliant sprint finish in races ( and clubruns ) .. On a personal level I travelled on bike touring holidays with Alan into Switzerland, Italy and France along with other club members of the time and were always kept amused particularly when Dave Griffiths and Alan impersonated Spike Millingan etc .
Many years ago like several of our early members Alan wanted a better life abroad and so set off for a new life in Canada.

Dan Preston one of Alan`s big mates has sent this information below –

“Alan and myself first came over to Canada in July, 1974 for a month's holiday. When we got back to England we decided that we would like to see more of the country and that coming over here for a year would be an adventure.
In April, 1975 we came back again. I had Landed Immigrant status, Alan came over to see if he could get a job, which he did with a relative's (of mine) husband's company. Anyway, he went back over to England, as you may recall, to sort out the paperwork and then he came back again later in 1975.
I went back to England in October, 1977 and stayed over there for about four years. Alan never did go back to England to live. From 1975 to the summer of 1977, Alan lived in Alberta. He then went on what we called a 'Wide Loop' in his boogie van down into the States. He went as far south as Texas. He ended up in Ontario and settled in Milton, which he called a village but which has a population of thirty-thousand people. You can't tell when you have left Toronto and entered Milton.
Alan and Joy got married in the summer of 1987. We went to the wedding. At that time, we had the three girls and Cynthia was pregnant with Ben, our oldest son. We drove from Hinton to Brantford, which is near Toronto and where Cynthia's brother, Simon was living at the time. Anyway, it took us eight days driving and camping to get there. The girls wouldn't put up with driving anymore than four hundred kilometres a day.
It was a good camping trip and we were there on Alan and Joy's big day.
As far as the 'Weaver Valley C.C.' is concerned, he was a member before I joined in January, 1969 (or was it 1970?). Alan introduced Graham Gregory to the club. I think that Ann Gregory will remember when Alan joined.
I have the first runs list from when I joined somewhere, so I can check what year it was.”

Dan has sent me Alan`s wife`s address if any of the people who remember Alan do not have it and would like to send condolences.

Alan

(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

I am very sorry to hear that Alan Short, your friend and WVCC club member, has passed away,Alan. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It is good to hear what an adventurous and interesting life he had and that he lived life to the full.

Claire

ReplyQuote
Share: