This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Safe cycling

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Mixed messages in the Pedal Power page of the Northwich Guardian tonight, where Northwich police will 'educate and enforce' the law as it relates to cycling. They have the power to spot fine £50 for cycling infringements. I have asked Insp Paul Loughlin via twitter to a meeting to find out how the cycling community can help in the campaign to 'educate' as the campaign is rolled out in the whole of Northwich. I think that persuasion is a better strategy than ' enforce'! This latest news comes about because a minority of antisocial 'cyclists' in Weaverham have caused complaints by residents and the council.

However, if you follow developments in London, you will know that a police strategy to fine both motorists and cyclists resulted in cyclists making 4.3% of journeys but they were 35% of those fined in Operation Safeway. There were 755 cyclists and 1392 motorists fined for jumping red lights.

My question will centre on whether or not the police will have monthly targets like London for the number of cyclists fined, or will it be a last resort for repeated offences? After all, if either a motorist or a cyclist makes a mistake, the cyclist is likely to come off worse each time.

In terms of riding on the pavement, which is illegal and not to be condoned or encouraged, I wonder whether fear of riding on the road is the main reason why normally law-abiding people do this? Making the roads safer is a partial solution to this problem.

There is a campaign to educate bike riders - and enforce the law. You have been warned!

http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/10866882.PEDAL_POWER__Police_crack_down_on_anti_social_cycling/?ref=mr

Share: