This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Pedal Power

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The Northwich Guardian is taking inspiration from The Times cycling campaign to launch their own 'Pedal Power' initiative. We have been working closely with the Northwich Guardian from the start of the idea when we were looking at 'Safe Cycling', and we will be featuring in their pages as they encourage more readers to get out and peddle. The paper will explain the many kinds of cycling that can be done. So many of these are covered by the Weaver Valley CC - track, MTB, road - racing, time-trialling, cyclo-cross, club runs, tandem, tricycle, Quest, penny farthing - the list is endless! I am sure Gina Bebbington their Chief Reporter will want to talk to Eleanor Underhill our Press Secretary and other committee members, but you can also contact the paper directly with your stories and advice! 🙂

See today's edition of the local rag or look at the website below! In the paper is a lovely photo of our own Andy Newby and also Paralympian and Ladies Road Race winner Sarah Storey.

http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news

(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Yes it was good to see a full page and hopefully it will raise the profile of cycling in the area. I think it would be useful if Eleanor talks to Gina as I was a little concerned that the first week focussed on the negatives rather than the positives of cycling. I'm sure that this was not done deliberately and I applaud Gina and the Guardian for taking the initiative, but most of the text talked about people making sure that they ride their bikes safely and considerately, dressing brightly and having well maintained and well lit bikes. It also didn't help that somebody on the letters page tore into cyclists for dangerous riding on pavements. If I was considering riding my bike more and I read this I would focus more on the dangers than the positives and it might put me off entirely.

I think the campaign should focus on the benefits of cycling to health and enjoyment and should also talk about how Northwich could make best use of the riverside tracks and quiet back lanes that we all take for granted, but are quite special and abundant in this area. Also we should get away from categorizing people as either pedestrians, cyclists or motorists because this just causes group discrimination. In reality most people regularly fall into at least 2 of these categories and often all 3. The emphasis should be more on respect and consideration for eachy other so that we can all go about our business in a civilized, safe and enjoyable manner.

I'll send a letter to the Guardian and try to focus on the positives but we should all avoid getting into an us and them situation as this will only be destructive.

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

......just sent the following e-mail to the Guardian:

Dear Gina,

I'd like to congratulate the Guardian for recognizing the many benefits and enjoyment to be had, from cycling. I have lived in the Northwich area for 26 years and I moved to the area from Manchester because I am a keen cyclist and in my opinion mid-Cheshire has much to offer cyclists.

We are fortunate that Northwich is located next to the River Weaver and the Trent & Mersey Canal and these natural corridors connect very well with the surrounding quiet and beautiful lanes and Delamere Forest, so cyclists of all abilities can access as little or as much quiet and extensive cycling as they want. Also the area around Carey Park, Marbury Park, the Boat lift and the Flashes offers many joint use paths right on the doorstep. I very much hope that the latest version of the Northwich regeneration plans makes best use of these existing assets as a gentle bike ride from the town centre to the newly refurbished Lion Salt Works and then down the canal towpath to the boat lift would seem like a great family day out to me, followed by a coffee and a cake at a riverside cafe at Barons Quay and a gentle stroll around the half timbered shops of Northwich. This picture in my mind attracts visitors to our town and benefits the local community.

Occasionally I see letters about the conflicts between motorists, cyclists and pedestrians and I find the "us and them" attitude to be very negative and unhelpful. I am a person who enjoys walking, cycling and driving and I can see no reason why all three activities cannot take place in an environment of mutual respect and consideration. Better infrastructure design has its place and I have expressed my views in the current survey on how the new gyratory system could be tweaked to balance the needs of all, but at the end of the day if we all just slow down and think of others then everything will work much better in my opinion.

So I encourage everybody to get out and enjoy the area you live in and experience that feeling of freedom and independence from the car, whilst taking in the beautiful countryside that we live in. Also the calories burned will justify that piece of cake at the end of the ride!

Regards

Dave Fearon

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

agree with what you have said there dave, hit the nail on the head there does seem to be a lot of us and them attitude between cyclists and drivers. should we all not have the same right as one another to be on the road and should drivers not be made clear of this? i believe there is a hierarchy where pedestrians come first cyclists second and then motorised vehicles last? i believe we should all be equal and that more courtesy and care would mean for a more pleasant and enjoyable experience for all.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well said, Dave! Excellent letter - I hope it gets published in full! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member

I don't know Gina but wouldn't it be great to get her out on a short club run including the cafe stop and cake as Dave describes? I know the reporters at the Guardian did throw themselves into trying different activities a couple of years ago so she may be up for it. I also just checked out her Twitter feed and she's talking about pedal power on there too. 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

Andy's idea is a good one i say get in touch with her and get her out on a club run for her to experience it first hand and see that we cyclists dont bite contrary to belief 😆

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have invited Gina on your behalf! 🙂

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Just make sure its not a run i'm leading, given my record for missing turns and leading the group up waterfalls.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-buckley)
Eminent Member

[attachment=0:3axf8tqk]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352539078.167744.jpg[/attachment:3axf8tqk]

ReplyQuote
(@chris-buckley)
Eminent Member

The waterfall moment was one of the funniest days out on a bike ever.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Thanks Claire and Dave - what a great PR job you've been doing! And a great and positive letter, Dave. I think it's important we all maintain this positive approach and don't slip into a default "slagging car drivers off" mode, tempting though it may be! That could easily lead to a "I don't like WVCC because they block the road/ride dangerously etc" which would be counter-productive. I also think it's OK to talk about riding safely/bright lights etc. - too many riders in black clothes with no lights let the side down, so the point needs making. Yes I will contact Gina -and Andrew Simpson - and offer them our support etc. I know Gina from my old days at the Guardian and she's lovely - and keen on cycling - as is Nick Jones their photographer, Claire I will suggest he comes out too. As Kris and Chris say, though, probably best to avoid waterfalls on whatever ride we take them on! For me one of the big opportunities now is integrating a cycle route into the gyratory system, it would then, as Dave says, link existing routes so well. One of the questions for me, though, is - if they build cycle paths, would you/we use them? There are a few issues here around maintenance/the speed we want to ride at etc. I don't use the ones around Kingsmead because they're so much slower...and I've punctured on the one along the A556 because of glass.

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

agree with what eleanor has said there the ones in kingsmead do seem to be for those who wish to take it at a steadier pace and when i came flying down one at 24mph pedestrians thought i was in the wrong for doing so. the best cyclepaths in my opinion are those that are adjacent to the road and not on the kirb side where pedestrians walk. they would also give a safe distance at which cars can overtake cyclists meaning a better relationship between drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I would like to second Eleanor's comment that it is not a 'them and us' situation. Most of us are pedestrians, pram pushers, dog walkers, horse-riders, cyclists, motor bike and moped riders or motorists at various times, so we can see issues from more than one angle. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

.....Don't get me going on them flippin pram pushers! They dawdle along two abreast completely blocking the pavements and have no consideration for speeding cyclists rapidly approaching on the pavement behind them. They should ban all pedestrians from pavements if you want my opinion as they don't even pay pavement tax!! 😈

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: