This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Get well soon, Dere...

Notifications
Clear all

Get well soon, Derek!

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am sorry to tell you that while Derek Heine was cycling on a Stockport to Aberystwyth Audax, he got knocked off his bike at Hundred House, Llandrindod Wells. He was found unconscious and badly hurt by a group of cyclists following behind. Eventually he was moved to Teme Ward, Hereford County Hospital, where he is staying now. He has a broken pelvis, and he is in traction, waiting for an operation. I gather that he is already bored and planning how he is going to get back on a bike! It would be great if he could get a few cards from his Weaver Valley clubmates! Our best wishes go out to Derek and his family for a speedy recovery.

Claire O'brien

(@andyp)

Sorry to hear the bad news about Derek, Get well soon. What idiots are out there.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member

Very sorry to hear about your injuries Derek; the incident sounds terrible. Hope you have internet access, make a speedy recovery and are up and about soon.

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

I'm very sorry to hear about this Derek and it is appalling that whoever knocked you off didn't stay with you to help you out. I wish you a speedy recovery.

If it's any encouragement I had a bad accident last year - getting knocked off by a pedestrian, who also disappeared, and I was found unconcious at the side of the road as well. I ended up with 6 broken bones and a spell in hospital. I felt fairly rough for a few weeks, but I was able to get back on the bike again after a couple of months. It was hard work getting fit again, but it can be done and you will be able to recover.

ReplyQuote
(@lauraw)

I would also like to send get well wishes to Derek. I know him as he taught my children. I would also like to express my disbelief and shock that something so awful can happen.

GET WELL SOON DEREK

With love from Laura, James & Anna Williams (ex Grange Junior)

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is a link to a newspaper article with more information.

http://www.ukwirednews.com/articles.php/65607-Cyclist-knocked-off-bike-by-car-passenger-on-Powys-road

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

That's even more appalling, but it seems to be getting a more common occurrence and, no doubt, they will get away with it.

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member

Like everyone else I would like to pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Derek after his horrendous accldent last week which according to the newspaper link which Claire attached, was caused by a car passenger pushing him off.

Only a mindless thug could do such a thing but to leave him with such injuries is just beyond belief.

If you know Derek`s home address Claire , would you mind sending it to me please.

Alan K

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

Derek, we're all thinking about you and hoping you make a swift recovery. Best wishes from Jed.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Derek is now in Wigan Hospital, recovering from an operation on his hip.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Derek all the very best from Kevan and me too. We were appalled to hear what happened - there seem to be some idiots out there. We wish you all the very best and just wanted you to know we're thinking of you. I just wish the England team were doing a bit better so you at least had some decent football to watch!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

Derek

Hardly use this forum and when I do I find this tragic news. Sorry to hear about your tragic accident and wish you a speedy recovery. Kev C

ReplyQuote
(@martinc)

I spoke to Alison, Derek's wife, this morning so here is an update.

Derek is still in Wigan hospital having had an operation last Wednesday on his hip. He is expected to be in until at least this weekend before coming home. However, because he also has a broken collar bone it means he cannot easily use crutches which is holding things up a bit.

Apparently he is climbing the walls a bit with boredom, which is probably a good sign!

He has his own room, because he has suspected, but not confirmed, MRSA, which Wigan is blaming on Hereford hospital.

Someone mentioned Alsion could not drive, as I had offered some help with this, however it is not true - she can!

Martin

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have spoken to Alison today. Derek is sitting up, and moving a bit more. He is being fixed up with a sort of zimmer, because he can't use crutches. Some of the tubes are being removed now. He has had lots of cards from the children at school, and also a chocolate cake from school - I am sure that this made him popular with the nurses! Derek might be out in the middle of next week, but it is difficult to tell yet.

ReplyQuote
(@jackmac)

8) Good to hear you are on the mend Derek, as well as the club rides it will be nice to see you back on a Monday evening having a pint and a chat

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: