This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Dave Astles

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-watts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It is with great sadness, we have to inform everyone in the Club that Dave Astles passed away today whilst out on the wrinkly ride to Two Mills. Dave has been a stalwart member of the club for many years and will be sadly missed. I am sure you will join us in our heartfelt sorrow at this very sad news and pass on our sincere condolences to Margaret and Daves family.

Graham Gregory.

(@alans)
Trusted Member

True gentleman of the club, thoughts with his family at this sad time.
ALAN S

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member

Lost a great friend, a friendship of nearly 50 years!. Please see Jim Goldens report on the LVRC web site link.

http://lvrc.org/latest_news.asp

Had some great times together .

RIP Dave. Deepest sympathy to Dave`s wife Margaret, their daughter, and son Mark with partner Lynsey.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

RIP Dave, I have known him since the early 80's, Having got back into the sport after a long lay off, I was looking forward to continuing to swap old time stories with him. a true gent and asset to the club.. he is going to be greatly missed. Kathy and my thoughts are with his family at this difficlut time.

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

I'm shocked to the core. I was genuinely very fond of Dave and had a great respect for him. A dedicated, brave, knowledgeable and accomplished cyclist whose opinion I always listened to and valued.
I shall miss him a lot and I'm so sad that we won't see him again on our 'Wrinkley Rides'. A real gentleman who loved his cycling and his fellows. Away from cycling, Dave was a very talented craftsman. I saw the house he built just a couple of years ago and it was impressive.
I have sincere thoughts of concern for his family and when the time is right, I shall share my sentiments with them in person. The only speck of comfort is that he will never suffer again and he'll never have to endure old age.
Thanks for your words of encouragement Dave - you were very kind to me when I first joined the club.
Jed.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Can not believe that Dave has gone. A top person who always had a story to tell or advise to give.

Dave will be missed by everyone that was lucky enough to have known him.

RIP Dave

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

That's a terrbile loss to us all as club members.

A truly nice guy.

He'll be missed. Thoughts with his family at a very difficult time now over Christmas.

ReplyQuote
(@gareth)
Eminent Member

So shocked and sorry to hear about Dave. He always had a smile and something witty to say - even when his dubious sense of direction caught a few of us out!

A loss to the club, my thoughts and condolences go to his family.

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

Like everyone else, I am shocked and saddened by this news.

Dave was a very nice guy, obviously popular in the club. He was always easy to get on with and was always there at the races, even when he wasn't competing because he was so enthusiastic. You could always have a chat with him and he is going to be missed.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

We've just heard the sad news - we just can't believe we won't see Dave again. Our deepest sympathy to Dave's wife and to Mark - and to all his friends on the wrinklies ride, you must be so upset - I know what a close knit group you all are, and how much Dave loved riding with you. Dave was just the most wonderful and kind man. I have so many fond memories of him - battling against the wind with him over the Sportsman pass on the Llanberis ride two years ago - or racing him up the hill to the Wizard (we raced up lots of hills) and this year, when we were both shelled out from the bunch on one of the TLI races, Dave made me continue riding the remaining 3 laps doing a two up with him, because he said it would be good training. He was such a stalwart of the club - writing the reports for the Guardian, and always turning up to marshal club events - (the top of Acton Bridge hill won't be the same without him - in the women's race he would always shout encouragement, whilst giving me an illicit but welcome push as I went past). We will miss him so much and we just feel so privileged to have known him.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

As someone who is relatively new to the Club, it was obvious that Dave was well respected and always prepared to offer support and advice, which I valued a lot. My thoughts are with his wife and family, and also his close friends who must also be suffering at this time. A friend lost, but never forgotton. RIP Dave...

ReplyQuote
(@jackmac)

As a relative new comer to the club, it was soon clear to me how popular and highly
respected Dave was, always modest and quick to tell you how good to the other man
was, he will be truly missed.

jackmac

ReplyQuote
(@french-exile)

I was very shocked and saddened on hearing the news about Dave. On my infrequent visits back to the UK i would often meet Dave on a spin round the lanes or see him out whilst out walking the dog. He was one of the people who was always around when i first joined the club twenty years ago and was always very supportive and full of encouragement. An all round top bloke. RIP.

ReplyQuote
Share: