This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Dave Astles Remembe...

Notifications
Clear all

Dave Astles Rememberance Ride 27 th December

19 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Mark , Dave`s son has asked that we arrange a ride where we can all have a nice chat and recall our fond memories of Dave.

Plan is to meet Hartford British Legion ,2 Bradburns Lane, Hartford, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 1LS 10.30 27th Dec and potter through the lanes to the Ice Cream Farm Nr Tattenhall one of Dave`s regular cafe stops .

Mark and partner Lynsey will be on the ride and it is their wish that as many people as possible attend the ride even if only for a short distance. This is an invitation to any one who would like to attend and other clubs etc..
Because this is short notice and not everyone sees the forum , can you please pass the word around and help us give Dave a day that would bring a smile to his face!

At least with Dave not leading the ride we should not get lost!!!

No funeral arrangements so far. Will keep you posted.

Alan

(@woody)
Honorable Member

Great idea!

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Sadly Elaine and I will still be in Scotland. We both hope you have a great ride full of laughter and memories. I'm sure thats what Dave would have wanted.

Alan can you please pass on our condolences to Mark and Lynsey.

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes thanks, will pass on your good wishes etc.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Alan
I cant ride yet, but I will be there in the car, I will bring my camera and get a shot as you move off, and if I know the route then I'll take a few shots on the move.
I think this is a great idea, make sure Mark knows that his Dad is going to be missed.
Jim W.

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh that will be great Jim, thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@nickb)
Estimable Member

Great idea and would have loved to join you all but afraid we won't be able to make it. I'm sure there will be a good turnout as Dave was such a popular gentleman.

Geoff Brandt sent me the following message when he heard the sad news:

"So sorry to hear about Dave, he was a stalwart. I once rode a 2 day TLI event with him in the early spring and we both got dropped on the penultimate lap of Worleston. It was snowing, I wanted to jack but Dave insisted we finished! I will never forget that day and his courage in racing again after his heart op. A lovely guy and a sad loss to the sport.

Best wishes

Geoff Brandt

BNECC"

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

Sadly, I can't make it due to family commitments.

Pass my sincerest condolences onto his family...

If there is a charity to pass any donations onto.. ?

Karl

ReplyQuote
(@alans)
Trusted Member

Hello Alan & All.
I've spoken to Mel at the Ice Cream Farm and she will welcome as many as possible to arrive there on Tuesday,
she will even reserve tables for us if I give her a call on the day with numbers.
Having worked & cycled with Dave this needs to be a big occasion for a well respected member who will be sadly missed.
ALAN S

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That`s great, thanks Al.

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

Very good idea Alan. I'll try and be there.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

Count me in. It will be a honour...

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

We just got back from holiday last night and we're shocked by the news. Dave is one of those people who has been around forever in the club and he has always been very fit and very keen. He's also been the main person promoting the club for the past few decades in the local press.

I remember Dave even before I joined the WVCC when I was living in Manchester. He used to ride the inter-club 10's between WVCC, Apollo Whls, Altrincham RC and Nova CC. I rode for the Nova back then and Dave always spoke words of encouragement even for the young lads like me from a competing club. It was because of the friendliness of Dave and others who are mainly still around in the club, that Caroline and I had no hesitation in joining when we moved to Barnton 25 years ago.

At least 2 of the Fearons will be on the ride on Tuesday to commemorate a true club cyclist in the best way possible, simply by riding a bike.

Dave, Caroline, Katie, Jack & Connor.

ReplyQuote
(@les-charnley)
Trusted Member

Hi Everyone, sorry I can't make the ride, I am with family down in London till 28th. I will be thinking of Dave and all on the ride on the 27th. Can't say any more that has not already been said about Dave, but I feel empty inside and shocked. Les

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Run report if you're interested on http://wvcccycleblog-runs.blogspot.com/2011/12/dave-astles-rip-memorial-ride-dec-27th.html
What a fantastic turn out - a morning I will always remember.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: