This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

craig knocked off

Notifications
Clear all

craig knocked off

38 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@heybodiddley)
Topic starter  

craig was knocked off his bike on his way home from work today
he was unconscious for a period but is now talking now , hes in warrington gen a&e with a suspected broken cb
apparently a driver turned right in front of him , he is due to be transferred to daresbury ward in due course

Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

I am hoping for a swift recovery for you Craig. I'm sure we all fear something like this happening to us. Those of us who use our bikes for transport aswell as club runs are more vulnerable. I would like to see WVCC take a stand on the issue of 'cycling safety' and the new web site could provide the platform to do this. As most of you know, I cycle for transport and rarely a day passes when I don't experience some kind of trouble from motorists. This is why I have strong views on the need to promote the notion of cycling safety - especially amonst WVCC members. Do you have any ideas on how best to create a culture of cycling safety within our club? We hear of accidents like Craig's and no doubt feel 'there but for the grace..............' but if we shared our experiences and discussed safety stategies, we may be better placed to avoid certain types of accident.
I've had a number of prangs and most have been my fault - these 'self inflicted' accidents are easier to avoid than those caused by thoughtless and aggressive drivers but I'm sure between us, we can come up with some gems of wisdom to improve our chances against drivers who behave badly. This topic lacks 'romance' I know but speak to anyone who has had a nasty scrape with a motor vehicle and you realise just how much impact it can have - effects which last far longer than the physical.

ReplyQuote
(@heybodiddley)
Topic starter  

well naming and shaming drivers is a start when did you ever read in the paper about a motorist being " careless" ?
only when there is a fatality is the court case mentioned
i know we all make mistakes but when there is merely a fine its not enough to change peoples attitudes im afraid
and since when did carelessness become a minor offence considering the responsibility of being a driver ?

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

OMG 🙁 I hope you have a speedy recovery Craig.

This is the exact reason why I don't commute when it's cold. Some drivers just have a complete disregard for the safety of cyclists. Why should they? They are wrapped up safely in their steel coccoon.

I agree naming and shaming drivers, but that doesn't stop the culture. Cars need to be classed as deadly weapons, and if you cause an accident you should be charged as a criminal. Let's see the threat of a GBH or ABH conviction on your record increase cyclist awareness.

But of course, nothing will happen, because the government and local councils don't give a shit.

I also agree with Jed. When I commute, not a day goes by when I am nearly hit by some idiot trying to go round me on a bend, or with oncoming traffic, or cut me up at lights. I keep saying to myself that these drivers value my life with so little regard that they can't add 5 or 10 seconds onto their journey to pass me safely. It's ironic.

ReplyQuote
(@andybeswick)
Estimable Member

firstly i'm sorry to hear of about your clavicle craig, did mine about a year ago, give it three months and it'll be like it never happened. regarding cars etc, i can't condone the behaviour of car drivers, if i did i'm sure i'd be burnt on the cross! however, playing devils advocate, it does annoy me when i see cyclists, not wvcc but all cyclists out in their new dark/black endura's and assos's thinking a thin fashion strip of 3m will be enough to ensure maximum safety! this isn't a pop at craig, he may have been lit up like a christmas tree, sometimes you're just unlucky. i've got an illuminous orange karrimor cycling/ running top from soccer sports, cost less than a tenner and i wouldn't go out on the road on my own without it. not trying to come across as a preacher or goody goody but taking it back to the brass tacks of school teachings.......be safe...be seen

i thank you.

(putting soap box away now)

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

Hi

My wife and I assisted Craig following him being knocked off his bike
last night.  Would you please pass our regards onto Craig and as
fellow cyclists wish him a speedy recovery.

Kind Regards

Geoff & Emma Prince
--
Geoff Prince
*North Cheshire Clarion Chairman*

Website - www.northcheshireclarion.com
Twitter @northcheshire
Facebook - www.facebook.com/northcheshireclarion

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Always sad news when you hear about any cyclist involved in a accident. Hope you make a speedy recovery Craig. And we see you out on the road again soon.

I do worry for people when I see them cycling to work in the winter. Not something I would even consider even if I could. I saw a team SKY rider cycling to the velodrome the other week at 0700. Full team SKY kit (black/blue) with the smallest LED light on the back 🙄

Be safe out there and as Andy said, light yourselves up like a Christmas tree if you have to cycle in the dark!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

I hope you have a speedy recovery Craig and we will see you back out soon.

John

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

The lights I have can illuminate a small village 🙂

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

A bit of encouragement comes from The Times today:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3306502.ece

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

.. this is happening more and more.. so sorry to hear about this Craig, and wish you a speedy recovery.

It won't be on your mind yet, but....
For what its worth, be very wary of "no win no fee" offers for your potential damages... they appear to be all stitched up by the Insurance Companies for their own ends. ie. Solicitors won't issue proceedings unless they're Insurance-backed !!! slight conflict of Interest imho....

Hope your well and back on the bike soon.

Karl

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Craig, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. Very best wishes from me and Kev for a speedy recovery. Hopefully someone will post an update here to let us know how you are?

As for cycling safety, the fact that the topic was on the front page of the Times today (or at least the iPad version) and was also picked up by BBC radio news this afternoon, will hopefully encourage more awareness. The problem is that whenever the debate crops up, we inevitably hear the "cyclists are crazy to ride in the dark" argument, and the Rapha black/one dynamo light/"I'll ride on the A556 over Bucklow Hill in the rush hour if I want to" brigade don't help. I assume that isn't a problem in Holland etc because cyclists have dedicated cycle lanes, that would make such a big difference here.

P.s. And Kris I have seen you out on your commute, you're right, there's no missing you!

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hear the news. Wish you a speedy recovery. Could lend you a big pair of stabilisers when you start back 😀

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Really sorry to hear this Craig, wish you a speedy recovery!!

I agree with Eleanor, I can't believe the amount of people who cycle on the A556 between J19 and Altrincham, especially at rush hour without lights, reflective gear AND WITHOUT a helmet. Insane.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: