This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

craig knocked off

Notifications
Clear all

craig knocked off

38 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Craig. People are just in too much of a hurry and too stressed out these days when they are driving and this results in careless and thoughtless actions. I often travel to Denmark and it's noticeable how less stressful the roads are and how curteous drivers are to cyclists, pedestrians and each other. In Holland cycling carries no stigma and you never see cyclists being cut up or harrassed by drivers, when they are on the same road, which of course is quite rare as there are bike paths everywhere.

Cycling is definitely becoming more popular in the UK but we are still seen as a nuisance and unfortunately I don't see this attitude changing any time soon. I commuted to and from work for 17 years in all weathers and during that time I was knocked off 4 times with countless near misses. Now I automatically assume that road users will do something stupid, so my eyes are everywhere when I'm riding. I suggest the following survival techniques:

Wear bright and distinctive colours and I must say that the club colours are about as distinctive as they get,
Get the brightest lights you can if you must ride at night, but these days I avoid this like the plague,
Try and ride as smoothly as you can and if you look over your shoulder learn to keep your line and not to veer out into the road,
Get into the habit of checking over your shoulder if you hear fast of heavy traffic approching from behind, as this gets their eye contact so makes them aware,
When approaching an incoming junction, if a car is waiting to turn into your path, again look them in the eye to get their attention,
If you are turning into a road wait for a good gap and don't assume that they will pull out to pass you,
Single out on busy roads or if you hear cars approaching from behind on quiet roads (Caroline will tell you that in the old days Stretford Wheelers used to have a person at the back of the bunch with a whistle and if blown everybody up front automatically singled out. They even had a system so the outer line would move forward and drop in front of the person that they were riding next to).
Don't ride in the middle of the road, but leave sufficient gap to the edge of the road so you have somewhere to go to if the car / lorry comes too close.

Even if you do all of the above you may still be in the wrong place, at the wrong time like Craig. However you significantly increase your chances of staying safe on the road. Don't let it put you off as we are the lucky ones, living in an area with so many beautiful and relatively quiet lanes. If I lived in a City these days I doubt I would be a cyclist.

Get well soon Craig.

Cheers

Dave

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

the whistle is a cracking idea.. and you get to "sit on" all day 😀

unless of course youre going to pass the whistle around the bunch so we can all have a go ?

I was out the other week and one of the lads had a very small bell on his bike. It was amazing how people moved out of the way on the cycle paths..
Maybe a bell would serve the same purpose, and a bit more hygienic (or blue and yellow team issue whistles) ?
I think I'll be getting one for my bike anyway..

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@karl wrote:

I was out the other week and one of the lads had a very small bell on his bike. It was amazing how people moved out of the way on the cycle paths...
Maybe a bell would serve the same purpose, and a bit more hygienic (or blue and yellow team issue whistles) ?
I think I'll be getting one for my bike anyway..

Bells are a nice idea, and I know that Carol regularly enjoys ringing hers on a club run, but... bells were a good invention in the early part of the century when people on foot or horseback were the hazard. For road, you won't be heard, and on shared paths, if you are approaching those on foot from behind, your biggest problem may be whether they are wearing an MP3 player/iPod!
As a regular commuter up and down the Trans-Pennine from Runcorn-Stockport, I find that this is a challenge every time I make the journey. The only option is to slow right down until the runner/walker jumps out of their skin as you interrupt their peripheral vision!
Better than nowt i suppose! I tend to use a shout instead(!)

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Craig - I've only just logged in this week and am shocked to see this report. Really sorry to hear you've been hurt and sincerley hope you make a swift recovery. All the best mate.

ReplyQuote
(@andy1104)

sorry to hear about your accident, get well soon and all the best

ReplyQuote
(@sarah-lee-cakes)

Firstly I just wanted to say how touched Craig was in reading all your comments. He really appreciates all your support. He is doing well. He has had an opperation on his broken hip, collar bone and thumb, and is awaiting news on whether a further operation is required for several fractures around his cheek and eye socket.

Craig is still in Warrington General and we are not sure for how long yet. So far he has been bedridden, but they are trying him in a wheelchair on Monday, but in anycase he won't be able to stand for around 6 wks. At the minute he can't move his leg.

The motorist has excepted the blame for the accident, so at least that is something. They were both on the same road, travelling in the opposite direction, when the motorist turned right, driving straight into Craig.

I'm sure some of you will have seen Craig cycling to work and will therefore know that he is lit up like a Christmas tree. I really don't know what else he could have done to make himself more visible to the driver. The only way I can ever see people becoming more aware of cyclists, is for more people to become cyclists. Their whole perception of space and general awareness of OTHER ROAD USERS (not just cars) would be far greater, not least give them the respect cyclists deserve.

Thanks again for all your support

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

We were all thinking about Craig tonight at the dinner. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Get well soon.

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member

Hi Craig,
Really sorry to hear you have had such a bad accident , had not realised it was so bad until it was talked about tonight at the club dinner and seeing Sarahs post above.. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Alan

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

Very sorry to hear about your accident Craig. It sounds like you have got a few fractures and it is very concerning that the car didn't see you when you were so well lit up.

As you know, I had a bad crash with a pedestrian who walked across the road without looking and ended up with 6 fractures, so I know how you will be feeling. I have always looked back on it and thought that it could have been even worse as there were no head injuries and no lasting damage. It will take you some time to recover and I'm sure that at the moment you will be in a lot of pain, but the broken bones do heal up after a period of time.

Best wishes and hope you get out of hospital soon as it can be a bit grim in there.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

Hi Craig,

I only found out about your accident at the dinner last night! Craig, we were only talking in the supermarket last Saturday about how you were commuting to work, and how dangerous it can be. You were so aware of the dangers, and then this happens..... I am so sorry for you and the family. Get well soon. We are all thinking about you, and hoping that the damage is not as bad as it appears.

Claire

ReplyQuote
(@gareth)
Eminent Member

So sorry to hear about your accident Craig. Didn't realise the extent of your injuries until last night and reading Sarah's post. Hope you make a fast recovery and that your sense of humour wasn't damaged too?!

ReplyQuote
(@chasr)

I went to see Craig tonight with Dave McKay, he doing Ok, better than I expected, shows he a tough old school sort of chap, years of suffering help! never dropped in the warrington 4 up so whats a broken hip.
He was glad of some company too.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

A quick update from the patient:

Some good news today after being bedridden for 5 days. I put my pygamas on, stood up and sat down next to the bed. Providing i keep weight off my left hip and collar bone i can hobble about. Being transferred from solitary to the men's ward away from the screaming women today. I will push to go home as soon as possible. Craig. Through British cycling i am insured to the hilt and the driver admitted fault so money may not be an issue. Get 25 quid a night for hospital stays.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

I have just had a lovely phone call from Iain Lindley, who works for Graham Evans MP. He was responding to separate letters sent by Eleanor and me to Mr Evans, in connection with The Times safe cycling campaign, and Craig's horrendous accident. Mr Evans intends to write to Craig to express his best wishes.

I have raised this matter as an issue for the Committee to discuss at the next meeting with a view to a delegation meeting with Mr Evans at his Friday Surgery, to discuss safe cycling and traffic management in this area, particularly Hartford. (This is topical in view of plans to build 650 new houses here, and the impact it will have on infrastructure and transport).

The Times campaign can be seen here:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/contact/?CMP=KNGvccp1-cycle+safe

The Hartford housing issues can be seen here:

http://www.lethartforddecide.org.uk

This great response from our M.P. shows that it is worth taking the time to understand the issues, to get involved, and to be heard!

Claire

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: