This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Claire O'Brien

24 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It's with a heavy heart that this posts the sad news that Claire O'Brien died this morning after suffering with Leukaemia.
Claire was a much loved member of Weaver Valley Cycling Club, and brought an unmatched enthusiasm to all she was involved in.
More recently, she has been a driving force in introducing new lady riders to Breeze rides becoming a certified Sky Ride leader. She grasped this role with vigour, and got involved in many activities, reporting back to the club committee with positive reports and a bright outlook.
She was a shining light for cycling, and she will be sorely missed by us all.

(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

Very sad news, condolences to the family.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

My thoughts are with her family at this very sad time.

She will be sadly missed by everyone that knew her

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Very sad news 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Best wishes to Claire's family from Caroline & Dave, Katie, Jack and Connor.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

I'm so sorry the hear this news, all our thoughts are with her family.

ReplyQuote
(@tonyb)
Eminent Member

Sorry to hear of this sad news!

My Sympathy and Condolences go out to her family and her many friends.

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@tthew)
Estimable Member

Very sad. Such a great advocate for the club and cycling in general.
My thoughts are with Clare's family.

ReplyQuote
(@neils)

Shocked to here this news. My thoughts are with her family.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

This is very sad news. Claire did some amazing work to promote both Weaver valley and womens cycling, and has left behind a legacy everyone can be proud of.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Since hearing the sad news I've been thinking about Claire and how amazing she was, from a cycling point of view. She joined the club...which was gutsy in the first place (it takes guts to join a predominantly male club if you're female and a beginner)...and despite never being entirely well (which she kept quiet about) she persevered, learning to ride, learning all about bikes, joining in the Wednesday rides, getting her own kids involved, taking on the job of selling club kit, and just getting stuck into everything she could, wearing her own club kit with pride, always turning up to support us as we set off for Llanberis and at other events such as Oulton Park. She started to build an impressive knowledge of the Tour and the professional cycling scene, and entertained us all on this forum with her posts about the Tour and particularly her diatribes about Lance! And when she found she just couldn't hang on to the wheels on the Wednesday ride any more, did she give up? Not a chance of it, she just went off and created her own cycling niche, becoming a Breeze leader, providing opportunities to ride for women and youngsters who might not have otherwise had the confidence to get on their bikes and discover the joys of riding. She threw herself into this with characteristic energy and commitment, giving up her time for others and always maintaining her smile, her (sometimes wicked) sense of humour, and her involvement with Weaver Valley. She made her mark, she inspired so many, and I for one will never forget her.

ReplyQuote
 Jed
(@jed)
Estimable Member

@Eleanor wrote:

Since hearing the sad news I've been thinking about Claire and how amazing she was, from a cycling point of view. She joined the club...which was gutsy in the first place (it takes guts to join a predominantly male club if you're female and a beginner)...and despite never being entirely well (which she kept quiet about) she persevered, learning to ride, learning all about bikes, joining in the Wednesday rides, getting her own kids involved, taking on the job of selling club kit, and just getting stuck into everything she could, wearing her own club kit with pride, always turning up to support us as we set off for Llanberis and at other events such as Oulton Park. She started to build an impressive knowledge of the Tour and the professional cycling scene, and entertained us all on this forum with her posts about the Tour and particularly her diatribes about Lance! And when she found she just couldn't hang on to the wheels on the Wednesday ride any more, did she give up? Not a chance of it, she just went off and created her own cycling niche, becoming a Breeze leader, providing opportunities to ride for women and youngsters who might not have otherwise had the confidence to get on their bikes and discover the joys of riding. She threw herself into this with characteristic energy and commitment, giving up her time for others and always maintaining her smile, her (sometimes wicked) sense of humour, and her involvement with Weaver Valley. She made her mark, she inspired so many, and I for one will never forget her.

You've captured the essence of this remarkable women beautifully Eleanor. I too will not forget her.

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

I had no idea Claire was so poorly. That's so sad, she was really, really lovely, always so sweet and positive whenever i spoke to her. My heartfelt condolences go to her family.

ReplyQuote
(@rich-m)
Eminent Member

@Eleanor wrote:

Well said Eleanor. Claire had such enthusiasm that rubbed off on everyone else, she was always singing the club's praises and was a great ambassador for both Weaver Valley and cycling in general. She is going to be missed by a lot of people.

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

Very very sad news. One of cycling's local champions. Our thoughts and wishes to Claire's family at this difficult time.

Love

Dave, Jim & Howard

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: