This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Accredited Marshals...

Notifications
Clear all

Accredited Marshals Course

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@woody)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

You may have read about British Cycling looking to bring in marshals who have the ability to stop traffic. These marshals will have a lollipop (much like your school lollipop man) to stop the traffic.

The good news is that British Cycling are looking to use WVCC as an example and have asked me to get in touch to see if anyone would be interested in becoming an Accredited Marshal at road races. Accredited Marshals are legally empowered to stop and hold traffic during a race using a new Stop Cycle Race Sign approved by the Department for Transport.

Volunteers will receive full training from British Cycling, free kit and free British Cycling Bronze Membership. British Cycling will look to do the training on a Monday night before the Cheshire Classic at the end of April.

Please let me know if you're interested. I think it's great to have the training for something like this to support the future of the sport. We've all heard about the young rider who was killed down South in a race recently and initiatives like this are well needed, especially the 3 we promote. It is also a great "string to your bow" as it were.

If you're interested please let me know and leave your email address below.

Cheers
Woody

(@shelagh)
Eminent Member

Hi Woody,

I'm interested.

email shelaghstelfox@live.co.uk

Cheers, Shelagh.

ReplyQuote
 phil
(@phil)
Trusted Member

and me

ReplyQuote
(@chrisc)

I'm up for it Woody.

chriscraggs@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
 les1
(@les1)
Reputable Member

Count me in Woody I got the e-mail this afternoon as well. Do we get a free lollipop 😀

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Hi Woody, depending on the date and time, we'll come along too

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

Woody

I'll throw my name into the hat as well

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response to the accredited marshalling scheme so far. Just before you fully commit I have since had an email from British Cycling with some more details.

As part of this training, British Cycling are expecting you to volunteer as an accredited marshal at 5 races a year. Now we run 3 races however there may be others in the area they would like you to help out at. So that is point one.

Point two, they will be running training at the Legion on Monday 15th April.

If you're happy with this, cool, if not let me know.

Thanks
Woody

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Was chatting with one of the cdnw organisers on Sunday.

They are very keen for Wvcc to get involved, as there are 4 BCF races per year held in northwich, and others in the locality of Wvcc. From how he was talking, Wvcc would be key to showcasing the new accreditation, and could possibly mean publicity for the club nationally.

ReplyQuote
 phil
(@phil)
Trusted Member

put me down....

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

I've just had an email from Les, which will apply to those who haven't put their names down for the 15th at the Legion because they can't make it. Les is attending the same course at the Velodrome on the 21st at 10am - obviously clashes with club run, but if you can't make the 15th, then this could be the best date for you.

BC are still as keen to get people involved in the scheme, but note as above - if you sign up, then you are agreeing to act as a marshal for at least 5 events in the season.

Flyer attached to give further information for those attending on the 15th, or those wishing to go on the 21st.

Contact Les if you aren't going on the 15th but still want to be trained and accredited on 21st. Les says she can give a lift if anyone needs it - lesleyteall@gmail.com.

[attachment=0:182fylaw]Accredited Marshal Flyer.pdf[/attachment:182fylaw]

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Hi Ady, Woody, what time on the 15th?

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Jim, I don't believe it's happening at legion on the 15th. You should have had an email from Adam from BC?

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Andy
I am having real email problems at the moment, SKY have just moved to an improved YAHOO.... Hah!
can you tell me what the mail said.
J

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure Jim as I didn't get the email personally as I wouldn't be available due to organising the race. I'll get the guy from BC to email you again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: