This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Old steel frame and...

Notifications
Clear all

Old steel frame and/or complete bike

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Anyone got an old retro steel framed bike or just a frame/forks from the 70's / 80's? Any make or condition.

21" - 22.5" should suit.

Posted : 03/08/2013 6:39 pm
(@winsforddave)
Trusted Member

Andrew
I've got an old Ribble steel 531 frame, from recollection mid to late 80's. I'd been using it on the turbo and, very strange, I stripped the gear off it this afternoon to put on a later frame for turbo use this winter, and also as a basis for some maintenance sessions that have been mentioned on the forum recently.

Basic details are:
22inch frame ( yellow), old style headset with bars, stem and brake levers(not great but workable)
This was a race frame so no mudguard clearance and responsive ride - takes 700c wheels and normal brakes so may have a problem if you want true retro.

If you're interested let me know and we can work something out

Posted : 03/08/2013 9:22 pm
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

@Andrew Risk wrote:

Anyone got an old retro steel framed bike or just a frame/forks from the 70's / 80's? Any make or condition.

21" - 22.5" should suit.

I have a 22" (I think) Reynolds 853 Sirius, I was going to put in on eBay,
Old style headset, down tube braze on gear lever bosses, cable bosses , double bottle cage etc..frame is little used (ive had it the last 15 years, i built it up for my lad, but it was never ridden, and i stripped it back down when he went to uni 3 yrs ago) however it would benefit from a respray if you want to make it blingy
I was going to renovate and restore but never got round to it.
Make me an offer if you want it. Give me ring if you want a look (I'm down at the club this Monday)
Jim W

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:29 pm
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Jim, have messaged you direct. Tomorrow evening would be good to view.

Dave, thanks for reply. Will get back to you after seeing Jim's set of wheels!

Posted : 04/08/2013 9:45 pm
(@kevin-c)
Trusted Member

Hi James

You can have my old MTrax steel frame(Green and not in bad nick) if you want. I am sure it would fit you. I think it must have been one of the firt "lugless" frames made by Raleigh, but probably made around '95. It has braze on down tube lugs, plus old school Cinelli bars, stem and levers from the 70's. I can throw in a couple of wheels and other stuff if you need them. All just sittin in my garage.

Posted : 08/08/2013 6:09 pm
Share: