This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

WVCC Chain Gang?

Notifications
Clear all

WVCC Chain Gang?

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Chris Gilberston and I have done a number of midweek night rides over the last few weeks, we did our first one in full day light last night, we did 5 mins on and 5 mins off, that got us thinking about the potential for a WVCC chain gang, I know Jamie is interested, and Jules and Tim are not too far away. The plan is until the TT's start to do it every Wednesday, starting at Hatchmere crossroads at 6:00, route will be about 29 miles, as follows http://connect.garmin.com/course/6207951

If anyone wishes to join us, fine, we do not plan to wait, so if you want to come along make sure you are on time.

Once the TT's have started, we will change to Tuesday or Thursday, will keep you posted each week dependent on interest

(@jules)
Honorable Member

I'm up for it

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@Jules wrote:

I'm up for it

Good man 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Great idea, unfortunately I won't be able to get there for 6

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Dont forget, tomorrow night, 6pm at Hatchemere Crossroads for anyone wishing to join.

We currently have 3 confirmed, Chris G, Jamie, & myself, with Jules as a maybe.

Please note
-This is a training ride, so if you are unable to keep up, we will not wait for you like a club run, you may be able to miss turns on the front if required*
-It is likely to averaging around 20-22mph*
-For the first run, we will do 2 mins turns on the front, this may change for the next one depending on how it goes.

Route http://connect.garmin.com/course/6207951

* this isn't intended to scare people off 👿 , just to give you an idea of the intended pace.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

4 people turned up for the first chain gang, Chris G, Jamie, myself and we met stewart Ward at Hatchmere, Jules left work late so could make it.

After 6 miles or so, stewart was struggling to keep pace, even with us easing back to get him on and missing a turn on the front, we therefore left him and the 3 of us carried on.

The ride was quite a nice tempo without busting a gut, we finished 28.5 miles averaging 21.4mph, details below

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/481138495

6pm next week Wednesday at hatchmere crossroads for anyone wishing to join us

ReplyQuote
(@stu-ward)

Jim

It might have been a nice tempo for you but I was working anaerobically so had nothing left for the hills.

I had hoped/planned to stick with you for about 30 mins but the hills got me. I dropped back so you wouldn't be tempted to wait as I didn't have enough breath left to call! Looks like I'm still a year off your pace.

Cheers

Stu

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@Stu Ward wrote:

Jim

It might have been a nice tempo for you but I was working anaerobically so had nothing left for the hills.

I had hoped/planned to stick with you for about 30 mins but the hills got me. I dropped back so you wouldn't be tempted to wait as I didn't have enough breath left to call! Looks like I'm still a year off your pace.

Cheers

Stu

sorry Stu 🙁 , I think the first hill took it out of you, it was just unfortunate that it came so soon, thanks for giving it a go 😀 you may surprise yourself soon 😀 😀

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Yeah just dig deep Stu. I remember being off the back all the time of chaingangs a few years back when we used to do them around Crowton. Get involved in club 10s, they do wonders for performance!

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Appologies if anyone was at hatchmere at 6 last night. I got a rear wheel puncture so delayed us by about 8 or 9 mins. Nevertheless, 3 hardy souls Jamie Chris and I, had an hour and half of character building in the rain made worse with the spray off the back wheel, we were just under 2 mins slower than last week, but that was understandable given the conditions.

With the tt's starting next week, we will be doing the chain gang on a Thursday. 6pm at hatchmere crossroads

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

This sounds a great idea, dont know how your club has gone for so long without one really. I'm all for more cycling, you lot clearly - not me.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The usual trio of Chris, Jamie and me were joined by Tim and Colin Walsh, it was a bit fresher than previous days and a lot windier. That said, we recorded our quickest time with the additional horse power averaging 21.5 mph on the 28 mile circuit.

http://www.strava.com/activities/136261749/segments/3085933247

6pm next thursday 8th May at hatchmere for anyone wishing to join us

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just a note to let you know that i am away with work tomorrow night and Chris cant make it either, so it is unliekly that the chain gang will go ahead tomorrow. 🙁

should be back next week though 😀

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Chain gang tonight from Hatchmere Crossroads 6;20 tonight if anyone wishes to join us

ReplyQuote
Share: