This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Coaching Articles

Notifications
Clear all

Coaching Articles

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was reminded today of a link I put on here a long time ago re Training articles .
It was written many years ago by Ray Minovi , an international rider and coach . Although it is old many points are still very valid and well worth a read !

http://lvrc.org/documents/coaching/the_coaching_pages.pdf

Alan

(@tonyb)
Eminent Member

Just read it Alan (I always say to my self you can never get enough advice) it's a case of filtering out what is applicable to yourself! and I've just picked up two winter training tips and at least two racing tips for next year one of which I only heard about last week from a fellow rider.

Good article for novice rider or experienced rider and also anybody inbetween.

Cheers tony

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well don`t keep them to yourself . Can`t you share those tips you have just picked up, with me Tony ?
I now need all the help I can get and I have shared all the tips I know and got none left !
Waiting in anticipation .
Anyway , I`ll have a better idea how to train when I get my new book , The Obree Way , for Christmas . I`m always looking for a quick way to fitness and race form !

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

I've got the Obree Way on my Xmas list too. Seems to have lots of good reviews.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

that pdf looks really good Alan, thank you for sharing!

ReplyQuote
(@tonyb)
Eminent Member

Some people may know these tips Alan and some may not? I've got a feeling you might! These being the ones relevant to me!
I've read between the lines on some of them and ad libed in places.

Racing tips few more than I first found!

There's one about being at the sprint finish and especially in this country where they tend to be in a much higher gear the article suggesting gear down a little! Obviously depending on course!

Keep it simple! Don't over complicate matters!

Watching other riders styles and their gearing position can be sometimes misleading go for what's good for yourself!

Getting to a false flat at a top of a hill and feeling good! Try and power ahead!

Feeling really fit at start of season enter a few races early! as many other riders might not be as fit!

Winter tips

Don't run up to many miles on back to back weekends as this could be stressful on body and mind as a veteran it could stall recovery!

Don't always go for the break on winter training rides (this can be done in racing season)
Going for quality miles even at your own pace is more advantages,

Good article highly recommended to read!

Cheers tony

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Tony .

The point about putting that training article link on here is that although a rider who has been around for years may already know a great deal of the info in the article , a newcomer or somebody wanting to get into racing may not have a clue about a wide range of racing related issues .

Many riders of my age just went with the flow just stacking in the miles as it was the done thing and in races, on positioning ,gearing and tactics , sprinting etc we probably wasted years learning from our mistakes and gaining experience . Ray Minovi has covered all these issues and given the novice rider ( and experienced ) a quick insight into what is involved .

Admittedly it was written a few years ago and training ideas have changed a little too but it is basically good stuff .

We have some excellent young prospects in the club now who are thinking and training very smartly based around their school and college work and starting to get results . A lot of benefit for them has come from riding the velodrome whether SQTs or track leagues where the emphasis is on speed . During the winter the endurance can be built on with a longer ride at the weekends but keeping the emphasis on speed and quality work during the week .

It is great to see them progressing but equally it is great to see older riders racing for the first time and feeling a great sense of achievement when they beat their personal best or even manage to survive the long club run or a Saturday training ride .

As I meant to say , there is something for everyone to learn in the training article link . Perhaps that is all I needed to say !!!

Alan

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Not read it yet, but from my experiences I am forming my own set of rules 🙂

1. Never go with the first attack, they almost always get caught. Always be ready for the inevitable counter.
2. Never sit at the back or deep in the bunch, especially on courses with tight corners. It's only a matter of time before a split occurs and you are out of the race.
3. Always be at the front on the approach to a hill. At best, you can use this to attack. At worst, you will maintain your position in the bunch.
4. Never sit up at top of a climb. Keep pressing till you are well into the downhill before recovering.
5. Never attack into the wind.
6. Never attack downhill.
7. If you want to attack, use the element of surprise. wait for a corner, or a slope, or a counter. Make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get on your wheel.
8. No matter how tired you are, keep a poker face. Watch the expressions of others. If you are fresh, look tired. If you are tired, look fresh. Especially when you are in a break.
9. Always work hard and do your turn. Show your value in the break. Otherwise the others will try and shake you off. If you do work hard, then you will be forgiven when you genuinely are tired and need to skip a turn or two to recover.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

And I acknowledge that 8 and 9 sort of contradict eachother, but I know what I mean so thats ok 🙂

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

10. Never allow even the smallest gap to form. It's unbelievable how quickly you can lose the wheel infront of you.

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

All great points Kris and I would agree with everything you say there . But such is the nature and unpredictability of road racing that we need to be ready for the unexpected

eg

Attacking into the wind particularly if there is a turn in course direction soon after ( know the course route ! ) can be very advantageous . Open the gap when everybody is sheltering from the wind and get a head start for when the wind is more helpful.

Attacking downhill ( as you imply not usually done ) can be very helpful at times and I have seen many races won this way . If you are a good tester that just needs a gap from the bunch before being capable of holding the bunch at bay , then this could be the easiest place to do it while others are taking a breather . ( or not being vigilante , or thinking someone else will bridge the gap for them ! )

So many variables to control in road racing are what make it such a great sport !

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

An excellent training book is :

" The Cyclists Training Bible " by Joe Friel ( an American coach )

Alan

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

yeah, you are dead right.

11. Expect the unexpected, and adapt your plan accordingly 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

TO ALL ASPIRING TALENT !

SEE THE ARTICLE UNDER THE BAR

RE WEST CHESHIRE INSTITUTE OF SPORT

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

This is a great thread, well enjoying reading it.

ReplyQuote
Share: