This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

A Mere Two Hundred ...

Notifications
Clear all

A Mere Two Hundred - 200km Audax 26th Jan 2013

69 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Dane
(@dane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What an epic day on the bike, it had it all!

Setting off in the dark from my place in Manchester into rain and headwind was a worrying start. When we got going at 8am, we were a bit behind the first group, so decided to chase on as there is definitely safety in numbers when tackling such a strong headwind.

The group was about 20 strong until we got to the other side of delamere, where things split up. Next time I looked round there were 4 of us left. There was plenty of slush in the road around little leigh and Oulton Park too. Which was a little worrying, but there was a clear path for single file riding.

On the A road into Ellesmere there was a sign saying 8miles to Ellesmere, then what felt like a mile up the road, another one saying 8, then finally after what felt like an eternity, one saying 7. Then is started to sideways hail right in the face! By the time we got the the pub for the turnaround in Ellesmere, it felt like we had ridden the whole 200 km!

After managing to ride through the flooded areas, Steve fell in the deepest one! I had a puncture around 5 km from the checkpoint at the Raven Pub. The run home was quite pleasant, with the odd flooded road (don't know how I didn't get trenchfoot!). We were then treated to a fantastic sunset as we rode around Macc.

My total for the day was 235 km and 9 hours on the bike. By a long way the longest ride I've ever done and a great adventure. We even managed to answer the questions on the Brevet Card. Great day out!

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Way to go Dane.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

@nofear wrote:

Stripped the bike down when I got home and the hub seems OK but we'll see in a few days from now. Bottom Bracket was drenched though so you might want to whip your BB out or you could end up with problems.

Thanks for the advice Dave, unfortunately, i would know where to start 🙄

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

I think this lady deserves some respect !!! 😯 😯 😯

http://trio25.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/a-slushy-flooded-mere-200.html?showComment=1359527837384

ReplyQuote
(@alank)
Trusted Member

Just read the link above . Fantastic effort by the lady concerned. Real guts and determination.Saturday training rides must be a doddle compared to that !

ReplyQuote
 Dane
(@dane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Bloody Hell, I thought We had it bad, she even went down the closed road that looked like a canal!

I came across a road closed sign due to a flood but feeling confident from before ploughed in, it wasn't long before I was up to my headset and then stuck! I waded back out and found my way round, I found out later I was nearly through it I just couldn't see round the corner.

An she rode from Bolton...

The headwind, coupled with the hailstones was truly epic on the outward leg. A real energy sapper!

Hats off, what a brave soldier!

ReplyQuote
 karl
(@karl)
Estimable Member

yep. The "canal" bit was where we carried our bikes over our heads. The water reached above my "chamoix" 😕 ..

I think her performance is absolutely awesome

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

Respect!

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

How do you feel Jim 😳

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: