This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Tittesworth and Win...

Notifications
Clear all

Tittesworth and Wincle

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I'd promised Carol I'd keep her company on the long run, so I was committed: but when I realised there were only six of us and I was already off the back at the top of the hill out of Winnington Park RFC (which masochist had the idea to start club runs there?!) I knew I'd probably bitten off more than I could chew. But I coped alright - just - thanks to everyone's encouragement.
It was a fabulous route on a beautiful Autumn day - misty at first, but sunnier later. The ride out was straightforward, punctuated only by Tim's attempt at a bunny hop at some considerable speed over a dead badger left in the middle of the road, with Carol and I tight on his wheel - if he'd got that one wrong, I don't think they'd have let us in the cafe. A brisk ride out to Congleton, and then a crawl in my case up to Bridestones, but everyone was very nice and waited at the top, enjoying the wonderful views all around. Then back down the hill and we singled out along the Rudyard Reservoir, and up and over a few more "rises" (apparently they aren't hills - Jim calls them "inconveniences") to the cafe. We didn't hang about: Carol and I decided to get a head start up Gun Hill, but it wasn't long before the chaps came past us - and then a skinny young racing snake wearing a Congleton CC shirt came storming past and of course Tim had to defend WVCC's honour: he created a false sense of security by letting him past, left him there to cook for a few seconds, then shot up to his wheel to ease past and take a clear victory at the top. That'll teach the young whippersnapper. Then more ups and downs - when I say "up", I mean "very up", requiring either very little gears or very strong legs: I had the former, everyone else had the latter. Actually I was doing OK until half way up Wincle Hill when whilst changing from my middle to my little ring my chain slipped, I had to stop, sort it out and get on again up a steep ramp. This lost me a few minutes and my dignity, as a pair of walkers watched with wry amusement - but again my riding chums were kindly waiting at the top when I arrived, which is where I took the photo below. And so home - a fast descent down from the motel (yee hah, 3rd Strava QOM for me and 61 kmh max for the stretch down to Sutton, descending's much more my thing!) (I should say - Carol is 3rd Strava QOM for the Wincle climb - that's seriously impressive). Then "Jules et Jim" (look it up on Google, it's a fine old French film/novel with a little bit of "romance" - OK sex - thrown in) took over the riding on the front and we stormed home in the big ring via Gawsworth and Lower Withington. Then, when Carol and I could smell home, Jules pulled a fast one and (in order apparently to avoid covering the same ground and make his Garmin route less pretty) decided to lead us home through Knutsford and Pickmere instead of the normal way. With Tim now taking on some of the riding on the front we battered it to the point that when I finally arrived home I discovered I couldn't move my right leg at all so Kev (who had to stay at home today to sort stuff) will have to cook the tea - shame. Out for the ride were Jules, Jim, Tim, Paul, Carol and I and our stats (sorry in metric) were 109km, 1194m of climbing, av speed 25.5kmh, we were riding for 4 hours 17 minutes and apparently I burned 2,262 calories so I now get to eat LOADS OF CAKE. Thanks everyone - a classic ride, really tough for me anyway, but I'm really proud I did it and hung on. Very impressed with my mates and their strong legs - I must do some training this winter, I've come to t[attachment=0:295qnw2f]wincle.jpg[/attachment:295qnw2f]he conclusion there is no other way. (How Kev is laughing as he reads this last bit).

(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

Great blog els, great ride by you and carol. It is a tough old ride to to Tittesworth. The only correction on the blog Tim bunny hoped a rabbit not a badger. You may need some new glasses lol.

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

Ps. We have the same conversation every time we you are out about jules et Jim -No one has a scoot do what your on about. Just not sure what you and Kevin watch! 😉

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Fab blog Els as always. You rode very strongly today. I think we both deserve a pat on the back for that ride today!! I had a great time ( sort of!!! ) A big thank you to the guys who looked out for us all day. 😀

See you all next time 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Well the short run may have just beaten the long run for miles for the first time!

Ady hatched a plan to include some hills as part of early Llanberis training, I guess we have 3 months for those efforts to settle in the legs.

We headed through Kingsley to Overton Hill. We went up the side part first from Kingsley before heading back down to Frodsham & up around the other side through the village, taking in the 16% hit to the hotel. Up to the top of Overton where we stopped for Steve to repair a puncture. He left shortly after due to half his gears not working.

We ventured around to Mouldsworth, down to the edge of the forest & then up to the Yeld.

It was at this point that I think Vince said what many of us were thinking "erm Ady we are still going to the Mills aren't we?". We were. We went around the back of Frodsham to Tarvin, across to Barrow & then to the Mills via Chester Zoo arriving with 40+ on the clock.

We headed straight back from the Mills at a brisk pace, joined by Keith. It got tasty through the forest where many who were looking forward to the replay of the Performance of the Year nominated race between Wood & Booth were to not be disappointed. It wasn't to be for Wood this time however, a big surprise attack by Booth saw him take the sign. Keith, Vince, Terry & Ewart took pace through the forest.

A good day out on the bike, top route from Ady, gorgeous weather & great to see everyone sticking together. Great riding.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Not sure what Woody, Booth and Ewart are doing on the short run. Think you were 10 miles short of the long ride as well!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

And double the amount of climbing 😉

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Perhaps you lot doing 109km, 1194m of climbing at an average speed of 25.5kmh! Lol!

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

@woody wrote:

Perhaps you lot doing 109km, 1194m of climbing at an average speed of 25.5kmh! Lol!

http://www.strava.com/activities/217332940

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

@woody wrote:

I finished with 86 miles and over 1500 m!

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

We didn't quite reach those heady heights of ascent on the short run. I got home with 85.02 miles and a mere 3474 ft (1058 m) of climbing. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: