This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

the Mam Tor Ride (3...

Notifications
Clear all

the Mam Tor Ride (3rd March)

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I went out for a bit of an epic on Sunday morning, setting off at 8.30.

The route took me through Prestbury, Chapel-En-Le-Frith, round Mam-Tor, over Snake Pass, and then home again via Marple, Cheadle Hulme, Wilmslow and home.

Though the ride is quite tough, the roads (mostly) were fantastic, and the views in the high peak were stunning.

If anyone fancies it, I'd be happy to lead the run again. it's one for the stronger climbers, given the elevation and distance, and would need an early start, say 8am - so definitely one for spring/summer.

the highlight had to be the descent into Glossop, a reason why I will be doing it again on the next sunny sunday I am free...

(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Hi Kris,

Sounds like a good route and brings back memories as I used to do a similar regular training route years ago. Also there used to be a classic mountain time trial called the Adorior circuit of Kinder (because it was run by the now defunct Adorior Road Club) that covered much of that route and finished in Glossop after decending the Snake.

I rode that event many times as it was a brilliant circuit and the last couple of times I rode it on fixed just for the challenge as I'd got top 10 a few times in the past on gears and wanted to do something different. I remember once on gears overtaking cars on the way down the Snake as they bottled it on the bends. On another occasion I went down the Snake on a tandem with my loonatic mate riding the front and me hanging on for dear life on the back. We had an early (steam powered) Avocet computer on the handlebars and it read 65mph at one point!!! Funnily enough I didn't ride a tandem with him again after that.

Let me know if you do it again as I may come along. You never know, I may even ride it on gears just to make the most of the decent of the Snake! 😮

Cheers

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

Jesus, if the Fear is coming out on gears even I'll come along! 😮

ReplyQuote
(@jaffa)

Sounds great, post it up next time your doing it.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Make it a Saturday and I'll go in the car !
[ with my camera of course, I wouldn't trust such a sensitive scientific instrument on a bike]

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

No science in digital camera's the true science lays with in old film! development process is your real science 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: