This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Shortest training r...

Notifications
Clear all

Shortest training ride award?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Always listen to your doctor.

Inspired by the physical prowess witnessed on boxing day i decided to ignore my doctor's advice, forego yet another senseless seasonal binge last night and go on the club run this morning.

At this time of year our lane is always a little bit of a heat sink and this morning was no exception, looking out of the window i could see how shiny the road surface was but could also see what a great still, clear day it was and, aware of the fact i'm becoming GB's next sumo star, I decided to go for it anyway...

I had to walk the first 30 yards or so, this was difficult enough with the black ice underfoot. I got to a rougher bit of tarmac and set off very gingerly. Within 50 yards my front wheel slid gracefully from underneath me and my right side introduced itself to the tarmac. I stood up, muttered something suitably festive, found a rough piece of tarmac again and remounted. Another 30 yards at 5mph was all i could manage before my right side reacquainted itself with the black stuff. Looking at the lane ahead i could see that the road was indeed just a ribbon of ice and at the rate i was going it would take an hour to cover the mile to the main road and gritted safety so i decided to turn around. Walking back to the house with cleats a-sliding i just about managed to get home before falling over again.

Distanced travelled 300 yards, time elapsed 4 minutes. Sore elbow, arm and shoulder.

Do i win a prize?

I hope you all had more luck than i did.

(@rob-d)

John,

You were the sensible one then ! I chose today as my first run since July. We made it to Goostrey before about a dozen of us coming off on ice. Elliot seemed to come of worse with a knock to the elbow but hopefully he's OK. In the fall I managed to wreck an Ergo lever and my glasses, which were in my jersey pocket, looked they had been run over by a steam roller. Limped back home and just for good measure got a puncture. Other than that everything was fine.

Hope to see you soon !

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@Rob D wrote:

John,

You were the sensible one then ! I chose today as my first run since July. We made it to Goostrey before about a dozen of us coming off on ice. Elliot seemed to come of worse with a knock to the elbow but hopefully he's OK. In the fall I managed to wreck an Ergo lever and my glasses, which were in my jersey pocket, looked they had been run over by a steam roller. Limped back home and just for good measure got a puncture. Other than that everything was fine.

Hope to see you soon !

Rob

That dozen was 20 riders Rob out of 28 out today, The main fallers are All ok Elliot,Caroline ,Derek & Elaine the rest just sore hips, elbows etc.10 of us went onto the cafe ALL main roads there and back so no one was out riding COMFORTABLE or SAFE today 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Thanks for looking after Elaine. Pleased everyone ok after that mass off.

Saw 2 guys off at the same place yesterday. A place to avoid from now on when it's icy.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Ditto that one, I hope everyone is ok, we wait with bated breath the colour and size of our bruises...... I'm sure we could get a lovely sunset picture out of it...... 😉

ReplyQuote
(@tonyb)
Eminent Member

Can't blame you for trying john!

I got in 85miles yesterday with 5min stop great day!

Today was totally different day 55miles return journey from congleton and Macclesfield. I came off on railway bridge hill next to two pools on Davenham road in front of 20 or so walkers one of which I think was Charlotte bakers mum. I managed to control my fall and came off Scott free! But my pride to a battering!

Hope everyone else is ok!

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@andrew-risk)
Trusted Member

Hope everyone is ok and all mend quickly!

In danger of sounding like Nick B, but today was definitely a mountain bike day. Lots of slipping around in the mud on the Whitegate way and through Delamere. James & I had a couple of offs but much softer landings than on the road. Legs burning after 3 hours and the washing machine working overtime!

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Blimey - that doesn't sound good - I hope you're all alright - and that the pleasure you get from admiring your bruises exceeds the pain. Like Andrew and James, we saw the black ice this morning and, given what a beautiful day it was, decided to go for an MTB ride instead - and were joined by Richard Calder. We met him at Milnrow and he led us on a fantastic route over Windy Hill, with views of the M62 (you'll know this bit, it's the climb up to Saddleworth Moor - next time you drive up, in the Leeds direction, have a look at the hills on the right and you'll see the bridleway). We then crossed OVER the M62 on the Pennine Way bridge, to ride up Blackstone Edge, over a path made up of stone slabs; then back over the M62 again, up to White Hill (where this photo was taken), down to the Ram's Head pub for a tea/coffee stop (what's wrong with beer these days then, said the landlord, having - with justification - asked us to take our muddy boots off before we came in). Then over and down Windy Hill the way we came up, where I managed to do an endo into a particularly black and wet bit of peat bog - it was a soft landing, at least. The riding was quite tricky, however good the terrain, (and most of it was very rideable, on ancient stony packhorse trails) you couldn't relax because of the occasional soft peaty bits which would trap our front wheels. Then we rode UNDER the M62 (the viaduct section where if you're driving in high winds you feel like you're going to be blown off), round Hollingworth Lake and so home.

I suggest in future if it's obviously icy, those of us with mountain bikes opt for an off road ride instead - we could still meet at the Legion at 10 - then maybe head towards the Whitegate Way? And if anyone's interested, Kev and I are both off work tomorrow and we're going over to Llandegla - we'll be there to start riding at 12 noon, missing the rain that's forecast in the morning. If you fancy joining us, let us know so we can look out for you at the start - eleanor@weavervalleycc.org.uk before 10 a.m.

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Thanks to Alan for ringing up to see how Caroline is, such a great and thoughtful runs captain. I'm sure she will be a bit tender in the morning but apart from that just a cut to her nose but no road rash at all as it was so slippery. At least I now have some ideas for future Christmas presents ....... It's a toss up between racing leathers or a tricycle!

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@Rob D wrote:

John,

Hope to see you soon !

Rob

Hi Rob,
Glad to hear you are back!
I hope you aren't too bruised. Same goes for everyone; yesterday it was a great day for the new sport of cycle-skating.
Perhaps see you next week?
John

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Kiddy stabilisers are cheaper than a trike and available from Halfords! (by the way, I fell yesterday as well,,,,I'm tearing the garage apart trying to find my lads old set...a bit of 'fettling' is all they need! 😆

ReplyQuote
Share: