This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

long run - Titteswo...

Notifications
Clear all

long run - Tittesworth Reservoir 19/4/15

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A large group assembled again, but dissapointingly, only 6 takers for Tittesworth. So Jules, Paul G, Paul M, Colin W, Jamie and my good self headed out via Davenham, Goostrey and congleton at a good but steady pace with each of us doing a turn on the front. Jules peeled off part way up the cloud as he had to be home early, but it was gtreat to see him out again 😀 and he seems to be getting back to full fitness.

We had the usual regroups at the top of the cloud and just before the fast decent down to the Leek Road, before the last climb before the cafe.

The cafe has be redesigned to sit more people so there was no problem finding a seat, I mentioned that i fet strong after what felt like PB's up the cloud and the final hill before the cafe (which proved to be), i was looking forward to see how i got on with the climb of Gun hill and out of Wincle.

We all got ready to leave and left cafe and got to our bikes, but jamie decided to go for a call of nature which left us shivering out side, so we were keen to get going. We eventually left, half way up Gun hill, i heard a massive bang and my chain was off, on closed inspection, my rear mech was in the road, the hanger had snapped 😥 This made pay to any thought of Wincle PBs 🙁
I Pushed it up to flat part and we proceeded to put it on a single speed, with Jamie crying about how cold he was, he had another wee 😆 We wern't sure which gear to select annd it ended up on the big ring (50) and the 23 sprocket (the first one), after packing up and trying to ride on, this proved to be no good due to the crossing. so we pushed it to the next flat spot where we slected the small ring (34) and about the 14 sprocket (about the the 3rd from the bottom). We planned a more direct route back that was a bit flatter than wincle, the gear selection worked ok but i had to be careful not to get out of the saddle up the last bit of Gun Hill for fear of the chain coming off and smashing my face on the handle bars 😆

We headed for the A523 Leek Old Road to Bosley, trough Marton, legs spinning like mad, with a cadenece of between 120 and 140, then free wheeling (and repeat) for long periods. The chain kept on jump up a cog which tightened up the chain and made it harder to pedal, so we must have stopped about 4 or 5 times to drop it down again. Jamie took the opportunity to have another wee each time, (he is like a little dog stopping at every lamp post) complaining about getting old 😆 he was the youngest of the group too 😆

We all arrived home without further incident.

Thanks for the help fro the guys, hpefull the repair wont be too expensive! 🙄

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/750832694

(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

"A large group assembled again, but dissapointingly, only 6 takers for Tittesworth."

think people might be voting with their feet Jim? 😉

like I've said in the past, it's not the distance it's the pace that a lot of people find unbearable.. 😯
no matter how much you wait... 😳

I may come out with you and then you can really sample shivering at the top of some climb waiting for me 😆

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The pace always matches the ability of the riders. There were many riders yesterday that opted for the short ride that would have been more than comfortable with the pace set. GG, the underhills and Steve Malkin to name but a few.
Maybe it's the company 🙁

Always happy for you to join us Jim, you will be more than welcome.

ReplyQuote
(@heather)

I would have come if I hadn't of hurt my knee 🙁 and now looks like another injury on my left leg below my knee 🙁 not having a great time.

ReplyQuote
(@colinw)

The general pace on the long runs is no faster now than its ever been whilst I have been a club member and as Jim D mentioned the ride pace can be adjusted dependent on rider abilities. Hilly rides like Tittesworth will generally break the group up on the tougher climbs but this happens on any ride and regrouping at the top is standard. Just my thoughts 😀

ReplyQuote
(@jamie)
Trusted Member

I still maintain someone spiked my tea 😉 but the pace was fine all the way.

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

Mr Colin Walsh,
How are you Sir? Better than me that's for sure.
Via the website I'm keeping up with everything in the club as much as i can but i am still a long way from getting out. I can walk about 30 yards without too much pain now. Can't drive, definitely can't ride a bike. Everyday it gets better though. Hopefully by the end of the summer i will be up to it. In the mean time i'm glad to see the age-old long run speed debate rumbles on...

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

I am very sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. :geek:

Should you need a new rear mech hanger (or a hug) my door is always open (as are other shops)

.............and don't forget now would be a good chance for that 50% reduced labour charge for WV members.

😉

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@jimduffy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hugs again, are they still in stock ? Would have thought you would have sold the last one by now 😉

ReplyQuote
(@colinw)

I'm Ok John, getting the miles in whenever I can. Look forward to seeing you out whenever that may be. Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@eleanor)
Estimable Member

Oh poor Jim, how on earth you managed on that gearing I don't know. An equivalent feat was Matthew on the mountain bike ride on Saturday on a single speed. Gears do help up climbs I've found. Anyway I enjoyed reading your run report, thanks for posting, it's almost as good as being there with you; and never fear we'll be out again on the long run before too long, we had good excuses I promise but I don't want to bore you with them. I will vouch to other "shall or or shan't I go on the long run" ditherers that the long run group is really friendly and considerate, the pace is always adapted to the slowest rider (often me) and that if I can do it, so can you. It's more about length than speed. (Yes you can quote me on that!)
Ok new paragraph for the shorter run, great blog Ady (blog section for those who haven't looked yet) It was a lovely run out to Dunham in good company and in good order, with everyone looking out for each other and lots of newish riders including 15 year old Paddy who looks very strong. Everyone was moaning about having called their clothing wrong though, it wasn't the weather for summer cycling shoes, even Titch's trendy sparkly ones!

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Looking forward to being back out on the long run 😀

Had a fab ride lead by Graham on Saturday! 😀

ReplyQuote
(@jim_dhr)
Estimable Member

Hugs are always in stock.

Jim

😀

ReplyQuote