This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Earlier start durin...

Notifications
Clear all

Earlier start during winter

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@craig)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I had my reservations about suggesting this, mainly along the lines if it ain't broke then don't fix it. But, I am looking out the window and its only just 4pm and the light is fading. I am trying to think of a reason why we change from a 9.30am start to a 10am start during the winter months. My initial thoughts were safety reasons, but the Saturday run starts at 9.30am and I don't think the weather is any better on that day than any other.

Thoughts?

If this is a non-starter then can we think about saying its a 9.50am meet for a 10am go, no change to the start time just that we actually leave on time.

(@johnk)
Estimable Member

I'm with you Craig, an earlier start is better for me too & i'd vote for meeting at 9.30.

I don't know the history behind the change in time; anyone know?

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

10 is fine with me. Gives me an extra 30 mins in bed 😉

It's 0930 on a Saturday as it affects a lot less people and people tend to want to get back to do other things. Not sure a 0930 start makes much differance to the short and long rides on a Sunday. May be the middle ride isn't going to work in the winter. Different start times will stop people having a choice on the day.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I've always been an advocate for earlier starts, as I like to try and get back early afternoon. 9.30 isn't extreme, I once proposed an 8.30 start which got laughed at 🙂

For a commuter used to leaving at 5.45, an 8.30, 9.00 or 9.30 start is utter luxury anyway...

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Not been an issue for the 3 years I've been in the club. Why change what works for the majority?

ReplyQuote
(@craig)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Don't understand you last statement. A 930 start works for the majority for 7 months of the year, what changes in the winter months. Not suggesting this for one run, but all. This has no impact on the middle run, just thought it would be simpler with one start time all year. Also all because we have always done something one way does not mean alternatives can't be discussed, that's how democracy works.

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

And a 10 start works for the majority the rest of the year.

ReplyQuote
(@craig)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I put the idea up for discussion, see who was in favour, who was against and what the reasons are on both sides. I am for it being 9.30 all year round, gives continuity and in the winter months an extra half hour of light at the end of a ride just in case of mishap, puncture, mechanical etc. I am one voice as is anyone else in the club, if the support was strong to change the start time I would suggest it was discussed by the club at it next meeting. At the moment 3 for and 1 against in a club our size is not worth pushing the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)
Estimable Member

To reiterate, i agree with you completely Craig; just because something has always been done one way doesn't mean it should carry on that way, the argument about an extra 1/2 of light is particularly strong.

ReplyQuote
(@woody)
Honorable Member

I think an extra half an hour in bed is particularly strong - especially for the younger, more handsome and growing members of the club such as myself. Mmmm sleep zzzzzzzzzz.

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

The late start does give a little longer for ice to melt on the worst days.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

@Derek .H wrote:

The late start does give a little longer for ice to melt on the worst days.

Finally Derek hits the nail on the head, If you set out to attend a club run at 08:45 - 09:00 on a really icy day the roads will be a little better if you set out 09:30 onwards. Thats the main reason the runs start at 10:00 in winter plus historically most of the winter rides tended not to go as far.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Craig, Jules
Speaking as one of the sheep [ha ha] I don't mind if it's 9:30 or 10, getting off on time is more of a isssue, some people seem to work on the " I'm not standing round for 15 mins, I'll arrive at 10:15" , rule, maybe [with a couple of weeks worth of publicity] the run leaves on the on the dot..

But remenber, we have a large catchment area, there are members that cycle over from Runcorn, Frodsham and surrounding areas,
they dont want to be riding over in the morning half light.

But the reason there appears to be a bit of apathy is I suspect that most club members are happy to comply with the published times.. whatever they are.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Paul
(@titch75)
Reputable Member

i agree with jimmy on this one, standing around on a morning isnt ideal. the warm up you have just done for some is quite long others quite short you soon loose that warmth you have gained. think we need to start leaving at around 5 or 10 past 10.00 rather than 15 or 20 minutes past? im sure if we announced it at the meet on sunday morning we need to get going sooner on a morning then most would be quite happy with that.

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin

That's fine so we looking at leaving no later than 10:10 , so if your running a little late our punchure en-route to social club tough we've gone 😉 Just hope this does'nt happen to me en-route esle you wont know where your going!! 😆 😆

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: