This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Club Runs Sunday 11...

Notifications
Clear all

Club Runs Sunday 11th November

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Long Run Bangor-on -Dee (Hilly/flat)
Short Run Chester Riverside cafe/Bluemoon (Flat)
Third Run TBA 60m+

(@craig)
Estimable Member

Four of us set out for Blaze Farm, Ian, Martin Paul and myself. Went out via Marton, managing to dodge most of the muddy lanes. The Remembrance Service closed the road in Goostrey so we had to back track and use an alternative route. Paul left us after about an hour in the saddle. The fearless three headed for the hills. It was the first time I had climbed the Hanging Gate from this side and I think this route is the toughest, the climb starts in Sutton and does not relent. With just the Allgreave climb to do I thought when I had arrived at Blaze Farm I had well and truly earned my beans on toast, how little I knew.
We decided to go back down the main A54, a steep drop from the farm chilled our already cold bodies and then all hell broke loose and the hail started. Tired cold legs being lashed by hail as you climb to the Wild Boar Inn, not my idea of fun. The hail turned to rain and kindly lubed the road for a slippery descent of the Dumbers, most definitely a white knuckle ride.
The ride back was punishing with a constant annoying headwind, but we worked together well sharing the work load. We all went our separate ways in Byley. I was just descending into Winsford and the heavens decided to open, the climb up Winsford Bank was like riding up a river. On the plus side all the mud that was on my bike was washed away.
An excellent route and ride by Ian, just what I needed to blow out the cobwebs after a week of NEC torture.

ReplyQuote
(@claire-o)
Reputable Member

I went out with the short run on my first outing for nearly 2 years. It was great to see so many familiar faces, including Caroline Fearon, Phil Sharrock, Titch and Elaine Mossman. The pace was a bit brisk for my lazy legs, and I was shelled out the back as expected (Alan knew I didn't expect riders to wait) after 5 or 6 miles as the road went upwards. I am definitely going to start out with the club more often, so my legs get used to the pace again. You have to start somewhere - I found it really motivating, and I looped back home thinking what a brilliant club this is! 🙂

P.S. you get a point just for starting - right Alan? 😉

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@Claire.O wrote:

I went out with the short run on my first outing for nearly 2 years.

Glad you got out! About time too! 😆

ReplyQuote
(@ady)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@Claire.O wrote:

I went out with the short run on my first outing for nearly 2 years. It was great to see so many familiar faces, including Caroline Fearon, Phil Sharrock, Titch and Elaine Mossman. The pace was a bit brisk for my lazy legs, and I was shelled out the back as expected (Alan knew I didn't expect riders to wait) after 5 or 6 miles as the road went upwards. I am definitely going to start out with the club more often, so my legs get used to the pace again. You have to start somewhere - I found it really motivating, and I looped back home thinking what a brilliant club this is! 🙂

P.S. you get a point just for starting - right Alan? 😉

Because you've not been out for so long Claire how's 2 points sound 🙄

ReplyQuote
(@derek-h)
Estimable Member

Claire more practice available on Wrinklies Wednesday - you can do it 😀

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Claire, wrinklies rides, an excellent option, [If a fat man like me can do it, you can]
Jim

ReplyQuote
Share: