This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

20th May Eccleshall...

Notifications
Clear all

20th May Eccleshall - Long Run

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@craig)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Going down to Fletcher's Garden Centre, rolling Staffordshire countryside, round trip will be about 79 miles

kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Looking forward to it, and we WILL be on our best behaviour!

ReplyQuote
(@jules)
Honorable Member

Won't be out racing on Sunday. Have a great ride though.

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Craig I won't be out either this week! As I mentioned the tour of the roaches has been cancelled so Dan wants to ride over the cat & fiddle and maybe drop into Buxton so thats what we're doing!!! Hope you have a good ride and I'll see you next week for the peak adventure!! 😮

ReplyQuote
(@craig)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Great run today, quick but well disciplined. Steve punctured and I have to say its the loudest puncture I have ever heard. Testing drag upto Loggerheads sapped what little go I had. Some near misses in the lanes around Audlem, but all 10 got back together and in one piece. Hope the other riders enjoyed it (in a masochistic way) like me

ReplyQuote
(@gareth)
Eminent Member

Yep thoroughly enjoyed it cheers Craig, great to ride on roads that I would never find by myself! Good group out today and I think we all behaved ourselves and worked really well together for what felt like a very fast 85 miles.

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Only just noticed that the long run went to Eccleshall yesterday. By an amazing coincidence I also rode through Eccleshall yesterday for the first time ever, but at about 10:30 so way before you got there. Caroline and I took Connor to the Youth Omnium at Newcastle track and I sneaked a 4 hour training ride in. It was great to ride roads that are new to me and the roads around that part of Staffordshire and Shropshire are noticeably quieter than the ones around North / Mid Cheshire.

It was mainly main roads for me as I memorised the route from the map (yes I do still use those old fashioned paper ones!) but my memory doesn't quite cope with all the back lanes when exploring a new area. Despite using main roads there was very little traffic. I rode from Newcastle to Eccleshall, straight through to Newport, down a B road to Cudgington. Then I did a quick 17 mile loop of the Anfield 100 mile TT circuit (Cudgington / Espley / Shawbury / High Ercall), as I'm riding this race in 2 weeks time, then rode back via Market Drayton, Loggerheads, through the forest at Swynnerton (cracking back lane with a tough little 1 mile climb!), Trentham Gardens then back to the track 75 miles later.

When I got there I was pleased to hear that I had only missed 2 of Connor's 5 races (there were loads of age groups) and his 3rd one started literally 5 minutes after I arrived. Connor and James both enjoyed the very fast racing in a large group of about 35 U16's. They both managed to keep with the pace and the weather was kind so even the spectators didn't get too cold for this 8 hour marathon day out.

Cheers

Dave

ReplyQuote
Share: