This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

PRO TOUR RIDE -TOKE...

Notifications
Clear all

PRO TOUR RIDE -TOKE ON TRENT 140km

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@simonmac)
Topic starter  

Hi,
Fr those who don't know me I am Jack McFarlands grandson and a new member to WVCC - I have just signed up for the PRO TOUR RIDE - Stoke- On - Trent 140Km which will take place on the 25th of September - Its a charity ride raising money for the Prostate Cancer Charity ( its maybe a charity ride but its not like the manchester to blackpool run) at the moment I am the only person i know from WVCC taking part, but as I said I am a new member so if people are already taking part please forgive me -

If anyone wants to sign up the like is below:

http://www.tourride.co.uk/stoke-on-trent.asp

There are two rides the Pro - 140km and the Challenge which is 80km

I am fundraising for this ride so any donationions/sponsorship would be greatly appreciated the link to my Virgin Money Giving fundrasing page is below -

www.virginmoneygiving.com/simonmcfarland

Thank you all for reading this

Simon McFarland

kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

I'm doing it too! I think Carol and her hubby are doing it as well, so that's 4 of us 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@simonmac)
Topic starter  

Great Stuff, have you done it before, it looks quite hilly, I read the blurb on the website about how one climb brought cavendish to tears on a training ride, don't know how true that is but even so full on training mode untill the big day I think.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

haha not heard that story. It's supposed to be quite challenging, but not massively. Just get plenty of miles in before hand, make sure you keep yourself well fueled and watered on the day, and you'll be fine 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Hi Simon my hubby and I are doing this ride. We did do it last year but it was slightly longer 160k!! From the profile for this year it looks like they've taken out one of the climbs but there's still plenty to go at!! Gun Hill is supposedly the hardest we went and practiced this last year but the whole route is hilly and there are some short and nasty climbs after Leek. There are plenty of well stocked feed stations so you wont be short of fuel. We really enjoyed it which is why were doing it again. Are you doing the sunday club runs? If yes I can give you more info then. Good luck with the training 😆

ReplyQuote
(@simonmac)
Topic starter  

Hi Carol, it sounds like its going to be a challenge, I will be doing the Sunday runs apart from this Sunday as I'm away, but any further info you can give will be great.

ReplyQuote
(@simonmac)
Topic starter  

How did everyone get on? I definatly found it a challange! Especially when a catastrophic loss of traction thanks to some dead leaves half way gun hill saw me hit the Tarmac then have to start climbing all over again!! However despite how hard it was ( plus the numerous curses and statements to the contrary that i said under my breath as i was going round!!! ) I think I will be doing it again next year, fantastic event.

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member

Apart from the weather, I loved it! I slipped a bit going up gun hill too, but the hairiest moment was when going over the moors and nearly getting blown into an oncoming tractor!

ReplyQuote
(@simonmac)
Topic starter  

Yeah it was a bit blustery. I didn't like the descent before the feed station just short if gun hill more particularly the sharp right hander at the bottom with an ambulance bike waiting there. Especially with wet brakes, I didn't think I was gonna stop in time. Im looking forward to next year already. I've seen there's a few move Sportives next weekend (9th) ones the Macc Monster and the Others the Lancashire Loop. I think I'm gunna give the Macc ride a go.

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

We had a great ride and it was only the fact that the weather was so poor that spoilt it, on saying that the sun did shine for us as the finish!! Legs felt really good must have been all those hilly rides of Craigs so I managed up the climbs quite well with no slippy back wheels. The wind across the tops was very gusty, I did think about you Kris with your wide rims but the hairiest moment was definitely the descent to Tittesworth and the right hander at the bottom on very wet roads!!! This was the second year we've done this and I must admit I did enjoy it more this year but thats probably because I have more miles in my legs!! 😀

ReplyQuote
Share: