This is the access page for an archive of forum entries. The forum iteslf is no longer available for new content. New social based chat is available on the club Facebook group.

Notifications
Clear all

Llanberis 2012

38 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all. Have there been any dates announced for Llanberis this year? My February calendar is filling up, so it would be good to get these dates in too 🙂

(@jules)
Honorable Member

Feb 25th and 26th. E Mail Graham Gregory with names. His address is on the contacts link.

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Graham kindly sent me a word doc describing the route. I've attempted to convert this to a GPS route. Could people in the know please check it for me and make sure I've plotted the route turnings correctly. Route plot here:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/468674

Once it's confirmed or even corrected, I'll gladly send anyone the data as a .fit, .tcx or .gpx file for anyone to use on their own gps device. Most of you probably won't need it but I know I'll be hanging off the back and will have lost site of you as soon as we hit the hills! 😆

ReplyQuote
(@nofear)
Reputable Member

Yes your route plan is spot on, but most people tend to go straight down the main Chester road back from Chester to Tarvin on the second day. Also there is an optional detour on the first day when you get to the turn off at the Pen-Y-Gwryd Hotel, to tackle the last part up the Llanberis pass. The detour takes you down the A4086 all the way to Beddgelert and then you turn right towards Carnaerfon and a couple of miles before Carnaerfon you turn right and head back towards Llanberis to approach it from the opposite direction to the sane people who came down Llanberis Pass. It's basically a loop around Snowdon and it adds about 20 odd miles.

Dave McKay and I did it a few years back, but I wouldn't recommend it unless your feeling fresh at the detour point, which is highly unlikely. On the plus side the scenery on the detour is breathtaking, if you can still focus that is! 😈

Ta

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Many thanks Dave. Can't see me doing the extra 20 - I'll be glad just to get there frankly!

ReplyQuote
 les1
(@les1)
Reputable Member

Wish I was fit enough for this one, give me a few months. 🙂

ReplyQuote
 kris
(@kris)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

120 miles, bring it!

ReplyQuote
(@carol-r)
Estimable Member

Can't go 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Sell the kids and come. Or just pawn them for the two days.

ReplyQuote
 JimW
(@jimw)
Member Admin

Andy
I would like the route, [I was going to do it my self but as you have done it .. it seems a shame not to take advantage of all your hard work!

Could I have it as a tcx file

Although I am only out for the Saturday to Ruthin I could do with the official route there.

Thanks

Jim
my email is williams-james10@sky.com

ReplyQuote
(@paull)
Eminent Member

I've spotted some errors in the Garmin route you posted. On day one we do not turn down Barracks Lane off Kinnerton Lane but ride up to the A5104 then turn down Chester Road. On day two we do not ride through Buckley but rather drop down the Rainbow, right at the first roundabout on the Mold ring road, right at the second roundabout onto Wrexham Road, straight on at the staggered crossroads then right onto the A5118 near Llong.

ReplyQuote
(@paull)
Eminent Member

The route through Chester on day one is also not correct unless Graham has made changes. I suggest you speak to Graham for advice. You wont need GPS anyway you'd be far better looking at the road ahead or the wheel in front than a computer on your bars. If you're really stuck a look at Graham's route sheet or a quick call to the support crew will see you right.

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Paul, many thanks for highlighting the errors. I will re-plot and post again once rectified.

I plotted my route against a word doc sent to me by Graham which doesn't have detailed directions on every road junction - hence my request for a check that I'd plotted correctly.

Regarding "no need to use GPS" - you guys will have long dissappeared over the horizon and I will feel a lot more comfortable knowing I have the route in my gps. I rode end to end using my Garmin Edge 500 and I fully intend doing the same to Llanberis.

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

Can anyone advise the correct route through Chester please?

ReplyQuote
(@andyh)
Trusted Member

OK Paul, applied your changes, here:

I think I've got it right but appreciate you checking.

I just need a check on the route through Chester now to complete the revision.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: