It is a C2C in a day ride. It is to raise money for a project/charity/business which is newly formed to get kids learning new skills and solving problems outdoors – cycling, orienteering etc. All money raised goes into the local community. I will be involved as a volunteer, but I don’t know in what way yet…
Well, as promised, this event has now gone live with the Cycle Coast-to-Coast In One Day planned on Saturday 17th August 2013.
If you want to join me and set yourself a great physical challenge for 2013 the details can all be found at http://www.meetup.com/Xplore/events/94787822/ Equally, feel free to spread the word and send this onto anyone you know who might be tempted/interested.
This will be the inaugral event for ConceptX, a Community Interest Company (sometimes referred to as ‘Social Enterprises’) that I have recently established to inspire people to get outside and exercise in the beautiful natural spaces around them by offering great challenges for all ages and abilities. As you may be aware, I am acutely concerned about how many people, particularly youngsters, are overweight and inactive. Given the very strong correlation between regular exercise and improved mental health I am determined to provide opportunities for people to take on physical challenges that will inspire them to change their lives for the better. Your contribution to the Coast-to-Coast event will provide a source of income to the business to promote this cause in local communities – as a CIC you can also be assured that all the assets and profits are locked, by law, into solely benefitting the communities that I aim to serve.
Although every rider must be self-sustaining, taking responsibility for their own arrangements and welfare throughout the ride, I will be offering the following:
- Route files (.gps, .tcx) for use on Garmin and other routing devices;
- Route information including places to eat along the way;
- Advice on what kit to take;
- Advice on what to do in case of breakdown or injury;
- Access to a mid-point ‘refresh station’ where riders can get a change of clothes and top up with their own food and drinks;
- Training plans, particularly useful for those new to long-distance riding;
- Workshop (provisionally March or April 2013) to offer face-to-face advice on preparing for and completing long-distance rides;
- Preferential booking rates on accommodation in Newcastle;
- Organised get-together in Newcastle on the afternoon of Sunday 18th August 2013 to celebrate completion of the ride.
Of course, this list is not exhaustive and more importantly if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email or call me. If you use Twitter, I have recently set up an account for ConceptX (https://twitter.com/conceptx_cic)
I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and a great start to 2013!
The Grange School
Click on the image below for details.